Pistol Shrimp and Goby

prettyfish816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum but was hoping that someone could help me with this. I just purchased a pistol shrimp and goby and have been in my tank for about 3 days now. They burrowed (of course) but have not come out since then. I was a little concerned about them eating and not starving to death.
My question is how do I feed they?
Or will they ever come out to feed?
Or do I need to try and shoot the food down the hole?
I know that's more than 1 question.....LOL.
Answers please.
Thanks.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, how old is the tank?

I've read they take several days to get to a point where they are comfortable enough to be out, and even then they react quick to movement outside the tank. You dont need to worry if you dont see them for a while.

From what I understand, the goby will come out to eat when it's settled in, and it will take care of making sure the shrimp is fed. I dont have a pair myself, but have considered getting them in the past and read up on them then. I wouldn't shoot anyt food in the burrow, just wait and watch for the goby to start coming out.

What is in the tank so far?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because you haven’t seen them in 3 days doesn’t mean they haven’t eaten in 3 days.

what do you feed the tank?

if you feed the tank very lightly, might be an idea to feed a bit extra until they start coming out.

OP
OP
prettyfish816

prettyfish816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, how old is the tank?

I've read they take several days to get to a point where they are comfortable enough to be out, and even then they react quick to movement outside the tank. You dont need to worry if you dont see them for a while.

From what I understand, the goby will come out to eat when it's settled in, and it will take care of making sure the shrimp is fed. I dont have a pair myself, but have considered getting them in the past and read up on them then. I wouldn't shoot anyt food in the burrow, just wait and watch for the goby to start coming out.

What is in the tank so far?
HI,
I've had the tank for 3 yrs but converted it from an all fish tank to reef. I just removed all the fish and added live rock. The reef has been set up for about 7 months now. I have some soft corals, a pair of maroon clown fish, a mandarin, a hippo tang and yellow face goby, that's it so far.

OP
OP
prettyfish816

prettyfish816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because you haven’t seen them in 3 days doesn’t mean they haven’t eaten in 3 days.

what do you feed the tank?

if you feed the tank very lightly, might be an idea to feed a bit extra until they start coming out.
I've been feeding every other day but try not to overload the tank with food but I try to give them sinking pellets and mysis shrimp or brine shrimp.

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum but was hoping that someone could help me with this. I just purchased a pistol shrimp and goby and have been in my tank for about 3 days now. They burrowed (of course) but have not come out since then. I was a little concerned about them eating and not starving to death.
My question is how do I feed they?
Or will they ever come out to feed?
Or do I need to try and shoot the food down the hole?
I know that's more than 1 question.....LOL.
Answers please.
Thanks.
I have a diamond goby and when I first got him he burrowed for a few days before really coming out. After 2-3 days I would notice him out but if he seen any type of movement outside of the tank he instantly darted right back into his hiding spot. After a week he was pretty much comfortable and coming out frequently. After 2-3 weeks he doesn't really get startled as easy, my 3 year old son can run up to the tank without the goby taking off to hide now. Just give him a little time

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gobies were very shy for a long time. I also worried they weren't getting any food. All I could do was feed some sinking pellets and shoot some frozen food into the goby/shrimp cave, and hope they were eating.

Turns out they were eating just fine and they did finally get over themselves. Now the goby pair and their shrimp all come out of the cave and start begging at the glass before I even get to them! A few weeks back the shrimp was even so bold as to grab the end of the feeder and started pulling the mysis out for himself!

One of the gobies likes to drag surprised nassarius snails into the cave. Not sure if the goby thinks he's bringing food or building materials, but the shrimp isn't into that sort of thing and has to repeatedly toss them out!

Once your guys get comfortable they really are a lot of fun to watch.

neiltus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the Valencia goby are shy. It took my bella a good 5 days before coming up for food with the rest of the gang.

I used to have a blind huge caribbean pistol in my tank that came with the rock...he was big. I would stick one of those freeze dried krill that I soaked in tank water on the end of a bamboo grill stick for a k-bob....he would come out and take it. I did this to overfeed him or he would go for a snail. Mine was kinda a big turd....yours different sub species.

Once they settle in it will be a good acquisition. I hear the pairing can remove some of the freaky ness of the goby.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goby & pistol shrimp pair will sometimes be out and visible, but sometimes they will stay in hiding for several days at a time. I feed frozen LRS Reef Frenzy, which is a meaty food. Some pieces will drift down into their burrow on their own, but on days where I see nothing went to their area or other fish are hogging the food, I’ll use a turkey baster to suck up some food and squirt it into the cave.

When they’re out, it’s a lot of fun watching their behavior:

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome aboard the reef2reef!

I also had a paired goby and pistol shrimp. here's my experience ...

After the purchase and burrowing process, they become comfortable enough that they will travel together during feeding times. Aww, how cute...

but, once they're established, the pistol shrimp can be areal jerk. he/she will pop anything that comes within range. ANYTHING! snails, crabs, hermits, fish, anything...

so best of luck, I hope yours is chill

Rp8

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back