Pistol shrimp at work

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pistol shrimp at work. First time really catching him out and about. Been in tank for five days. Is it best to throw some small broken up shells for him to decorate with?

Also, anything feeding wise that I need to take care in regarding these guys? I've had a pistol in my 29g for a month or so now, and I assume he's doing great. Rarely see him but hear the loud click every now and then.

Is there any way to progress him and my YWG to pair up. They're finally under the same rock, but on opposite sides. Maybe they'll find each other down there?

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would let them pair naturally. Since they are under the same rock (sharing shelter), they may be on the way to bonding.

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be patient. I asked the same question on here and it took about a week for mine to find each other. However, my pistol didn't start digging until he found the goby, so maybe yours are paired and just not next to each other. My goby occasionally leaves my pistol for a few minutes but not by more than five or six inches

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I am also wondering if they need/would appreciate broken shells and such, as Adam asked

Jdeleon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 with 2 watchman and all 3 are paired up,, they do great together. it took almost no time for them to find each other. I don't ever hear the snapping thou, whats up with that.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will find debris within the tank to shore up whatever they're after; do note this may end being various frags and other items you'd prefer left where originally placed. The tiger pistol we have has grabbed most of the unused shells that were in the tank for the hermits to transition into.

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be patient. I asked the same question on here and it took about a week for mine to find each other. However, my pistol didn't start digging until he found the goby, so maybe yours are paired and just not next to each other. My goby occasionally leaves my pistol for a few minutes but not by more than five or six inches

Also I am also wondering if they need/would appreciate broken shells and such, as Adam asked

I have 1 with 2 watchman and all 3 are paired up,, they do great together. it took almost no time for them to find each other. I don't ever hear the snapping thou, whats up with that.

They will find debris within the tank to shore up whatever they're after; do note this may end being various frags and other items you'd prefer left where originally placed. The tiger pistol we have has grabbed most of the unused shells that were in the tank for the hermits to transition into.

It's been about twelve days and I haven't SEEN them together yet. The goby has actually been super shy. Stays in the cave in the middle of the tank, while the pistol stays in his little area in the back right of the tank.

I did crush up a few shells and put various size pieces back near his corner. Hopefully they pair up soon and hang out. Hoping that will make my Goby a little more lively. I rarely see him.

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a new small hole at the base of the rock where the YWG hangs out :) hopefully they've met!

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pistol shrimp at work. First time really catching him out and about. Been in tank for five days. Is it best to throw some small broken up shells for him to decorate with?

Also, anything feeding wise that I need to take care in regarding these guys? I've had a pistol in my 29g for a month or so now, and I assume he's doing great. Rarely see him but hear the loud click every now and then.

Is there any way to progress him and my YWG to pair up. They're finally under the same rock, but on opposite sides. Maybe they'll find each other down there?

Mine collects all small shells in his area, so yes yours would probably would like shells added. My goby and shrimp have never paired up and it has been over a year.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YWG are usually pretty reclusive. Randall's have been pretty bold in my experience and the tiger pistols will frequently come out for extended periods as well.

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so exciting. Never seen either of them so active. Pete is really working overtime on the tunnel system. He's got multiple new entrances going and Yoby is following him all over.
IMG_4587.JPG
IMG_4588.JPG

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do all gobies bond like this with pistol shrimp, or is it only this type of goby?

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do all gobies bond like this with pistol shrimp, or is it only this type of goby?

Nope, not all gobies. I made that mistake on my other tank and got a pistol shrimp for my Diamond Goby. Luckily Pistol Pete is doing great without a goby pal in my larger tank. Hear him clicking away and working all the time.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back