Pistol shrimp breeding??

  • Thread starter Thread starter Omikayalan
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Omikayalan

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 9, 2025
Messages
38
Reaction score
20
Location
Barcelona
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could these be alpheus randalli eggs?? The pictures look a bit distorted because of the glass.

IMG_20250403_211505.jpg IMG_20250403_211349.jpg IMG_20250403_211348.jpg IMG_20250403_211325.jpg
 
Shrimp tend to hold the eggs below the tail.
 
Shrimp tend to hold the eggs below the tail.
Hello, i think the eggs will hatch in one week or two. I can not find info about rearing the larvae of this particular species. What should i do? There are several threads about taking care of sexy shrimp larvae and maybe the process is similar. Any tips please?
 
They just spawned. I do not have access to live food until Tuesday, i hope they make it until then.
 

Attachments

  • VID_20250419_222440~2.mp4
    19.4 MB
  • VID_20250419_213934~2.mp4
    16.2 MB
Their confirmed shrimp?!?
 
I don't even know what they would eat. Phyto? Very cool either way. If it is phyto I would be happy to ship you some.
 
I don't even know what they would eat. Phyto? Very cool either way. If it is phyto I would be happy to ship you some.
I am from Spain but i appreciate it. I think they eat rotifers and copepod nauplii the first days. I think in some article about a caribean species of pistol shrimp they say they do not need food for the first stage. Maybe A. Randalli works that way too, I will see... They literally hatched the worst day of all since here in Spain it's festive. Here a picture of one larvae:
 

Attachments

  • IMG-20250419-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20250419-WA0005.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 55
I am from Spain but i appreciate it. I think they eat rotifers and copepod nauplii the first days. I think in some article about a caribean species of pistol shrimp they say they do not need food for the first stage. Maybe A. Randalli works that way too, I will see... They literally hatched the worst day of all since here in Spain it's festive. Here a picture of one larvae:

Didn't notice your location haha. Funny my parents are in Barcelona right now for holiday.

Amazing picture. I've never heard of anyone breeding them. So cool!
 
Bad news: the heater malfunctioned and fried the larvae. Good news: I am almost sure the shrimp has more eggs coming. As i could see, the moment the female molts also produces eggs. If this is true and i keep maintaining the tank parameters the same, i might have new batches every 20-30 days. 🤯
 
The female shrimp already has a new batch. I have no idea what happened with the last one, they were very close to hatch. I think my attempt number two will be delayed 😥
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new