Pistol shrimp destabilizing rock work.

Sandsnail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this neatly stacked rock column (not super stable but holding) and it’s started to slouch and fall towards the glass. My pistol shrimp is doing not stop excavation work and is constantly shifting the column. Anyway to make it stable a shrimp proof? Thanks
698D9990-DF55-447E-AD01-965BEB58E5A4.jpeg
3B7EBA14-E6B8-4613-BAD7-2FB50D981EB9.png

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the rock on top of the sand?
I am planning to keep a pistol shrimp so I built my rockwork on the glass and made sure it was absolutely steady before adding sand around it, so it can't be undermined.

I'm not sure if there's a good solution now the tank is running, unless you remove everything and rescape with rock on the glass first.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gets some rock rubble and apply superglue to it and jam it in place with twist. The super glue builds up a film so you need to break it for it to stick. Lessons learned as this is best done before getting it wet ;)

BamboozleBean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a few options that have all worked for me. First off you could use clear zip ties and thread them through the natural holes in the rocks and trim the excess off.
Secondly you could use reef putty or super glue to secure them. This wouldn’t be ideal since the tank is setup, and the pistol shrimp has burrowing behavior. But adding egg crate under the sand and setting the rock on it would give it a better platform and if the rocks did fall it would not damage the bottom of your tank but I think the first two options would be better.
What tank is that though? I’m interested in a nano and I like the tall look of that one.

OP
OP
Sandsnail

Sandsnail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a few options that have all worked for me. First off you could use clear zip ties and thread them through the natural holes in the rocks and trim the excess off.
Secondly you could use reef putty or super glue to secure them. This wouldn’t be ideal since the tank is setup, and the pistol shrimp has burrowing behavior. But adding egg crate under the sand and setting the rock on it would give it a better platform and if the rocks did fall it would not damage the bottom of your tank but I think the first two options would be better.
What tank is that though? I’m interested in a nano and I like the tall look of that one.
It’s the aqeon 15 gallon column tank with stand, had it lying around and decided to try out something new.

Saluki2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to be setting up my aquascape with a pistol shrimp in mind. I plan to take acrylic rod and cut off some 1” feet to glue to the bottom of my base rock. The feet will rest on the glass then I’ll add sand after the rock is in place. Should give the pistol plenty of room to excavate without risking collapse.

av8soulfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pistol shrimp for a few weeks. It kept snapping its claws making annoying noise at night keeping me awake. Gave it to a friend. zzzzzzzzzzzz

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pistol shrimp for a few weeks. It kept snapping its claws making annoying noise at night keeping me awake. Gave it to a friend. zzzzzzzzzzzz
Lame! Miss hearing my love snaps when my tank was on the same floor. It was a gentle reminder to check in on the tank and feed em.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are keeping sand burrowing/dwelling creatures, always rock first, then sand so nobody gets crushed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.9%
Back