Pistol shrimp= heart attack lol

Wick3d_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yall, it's almost 0330 am on my side of this space rock. My reef is asleep under moon lights. Well, most of my reef. I have two pistol shrimp. One is paired with my pink spot goby. And the other does not pair, it's a Bullseye (also called a Purple Claw) pistol shrimp. He's a gorgeous shrimp and big. Something is making him snap and his snaps are LOUD like a mantis would be, significantly louder than my tiger pistol. And sound just like a seam popping. So, I had a minor heart attack, saw Jesus and my fish on the floor before I realized it was just my shrimp. lol

Boogiedown_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's right in the front of our tank. Not that far from the glass so his snaps echo and sound super loud bouncing off the glass. I forget he's in there then POP! and I die. lol
My reef tank is in my bedroom, imagine waking up to the pop... lol

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's calling you out
ZomboMeme 21072021040204.jpg

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is that what it may be at night? ours only make the little pop corn sounds at night..
Mine i only hear pop sound at night also and pods more active at night and the pistol shrimp claw for close range targets so i would guess so.
With mine the occasionaly snail goes in entrance to its burrow ( i hollowed out a rock and got 2 entry points above sand which nas snails venture in and i get upto look what the pop pop pop is and its this lol)
Apparently they break small rocks apart to use as reinforcement for burrows ( how true this is i dont know )

Megability

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are actually the loudest creature in the ocean. if you do a little research on the popping sound, you'll find out they are very unique animals.
And apparently the turbulence from their pop actually boils water, it’s as hot as the sun (for a split second) pretty cool

aws2266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome, well sucks you had a scare like that, but great it makes a sound. I just recently bought a Trigger and heard him grunt loudly, it was awesome. My kids were in the room to hear him as well. I got a pistol shrimp and watchman goby last week and they paired after just three days. Had no idea the pistol shrimp was so cool.

OP
OP
Wick3d_1

Wick3d_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe there’s a mantis hiding in there.
No. It's definitely my Bullseye pistol. Everything was dry when we added it. Dry rock with live sand. The Bullseye is a big shrimp, he's also beautiful. (Stock photo cause my dude lives in his hole and hardly comes out but to feed during feeding time)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210923-203143_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210923-203143_Chrome.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Wick3d_1

Wick3d_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome, well sucks you had a scare like that, but great it makes a sound. I just recently bought a Trigger and heard him grunt loudly, it was awesome. My kids were in the room to hear him as well. I got a pistol shrimp and watchman goby last week and they paired after just three days. Had no idea the pistol shrimp was so cool.
Definitely one of my favorite inverts. They are amazing little creatures.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
No. It's definitely my Bullseye pistol. Everything was dry when we added it. Dry rock with live sand. The Bullseye is a big shrimp, he's also beautiful. (Stock photo cause my dude lives in his hole and hardly comes out but to feed during feeding time)
i only ever knew of the red banded pistol and the tiger pistol…. this one is super cool..

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tiny little pistol shrimp is so loud! He scared me the first time he made the famous clicking/popping sound. I thought it was the tank glass cracking. Nearly had a heart attack. The guy I got him from told me he'd do this. I didn't believe him. Now I'm a believer. Haha. They're amazing little creatures. Now he takes his pellets from my fingers. I have big love for this little guy and his Hi Fin goby burrow buddy!!!

OP
OP
Wick3d_1

Wick3d_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. For the love and the laughs. I will say if anyone is looking for a Bullseye/Purple Claw pistol shrimp, they DO NOT pair with gobies. They will run them out of their burrows or even possibly kill smaller goby species. But they are gorgeous shrimp to have

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 84.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back