Pistol shrimp killing hermits

SeattleReefer

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 27, 2025
Messages
152
Reaction score
68
Location
Seattle
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen less and less hermit crabs since I added in a tiger piston shrimp for my YWG and I have seen what looks like shells with a crab inside of them being used in his burrows. Is here using the shells while the crabs are still inside?
 
I have seen less and less hermit crabs since I added in a tiger piston shrimp for my YWG and I have seen what looks like shells with a crab inside of them being used in his burrows. Is here using the shells while the crabs are still inside?
Pistol shrimps ive seen are so hit and miss. Ive read they'd kill cleaners and your cuc, but mine just shoves and pushes anything away from its burrow. In order to minimize hunting i try to feed it as much as I can
 
They fun to watch, but I keep mine in a frag tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 32.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new