Pistol Shrimp lost his snapper

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 17, 2020
Messages
1,371
Reaction score
2,009
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a week ago or so I noticed my pistol shrimp had lost his snapping claw. Aside from being a lot quieter, he doesn't seem bothered. He's still digging and building and carrying shells around with his good claw. His gobies are maybe a bit more defensive but otherwise not much has changed.

Research tells me that his existing claw may transform into a snapping claw and eventually the missing limb will grow back.

My question is, has anyone had their pistol shrimp successfully regrow a limb? And if so, how long did it take for your guy to be back to normal? I've had this shrimp for about a year and a half.
 
Just wanted to update this in case it happens to anyone else. My guy just had his second molt since losing his snapping claw and looks pretty much normal again, except as predicted, the claws have switched sides. Pretty amazing stuff.
 
Just wanted to update this in case it happens to anyone else. My guy just had his second molt since losing his snapping claw and looks pretty much normal again, except as predicted, the claws have switched sides. Pretty amazing stuff.
I'm glad to read this. My new candy cane pistol lost his big claw when he molted shortly after I got him (about a month ago). He's still busy doing his shrimpy thing, like moving sand, he just does it with one claw. I'm happy to know the other one should regrow in time.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new