pistol shrimp making tank sandy and cloudy!

All is good. Keep your shrimp. Sand movers will stir up fine particles. I have a pistol shrimp and a diamond goby. IMO, no need to wash your sand. Proper filtration will take care of it over time.
 
One handy benefit of washing is there is no time it clouds, no waiting required, and it reduces silt fractions that contribute to diatom headaches. and it helps avoid this:


https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/so-i-didnt-rinse.592624/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/sandbed-stirred-up.544852/#post-5723606

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/very-cloudy-water-after-sand-and-rock.559386/#post-5735864
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/question-about-vacuuming-sand-bed.616059/ https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-tank-milky-cloudy.616519/


Most tanks are too large to fix the sand after beginning, we hope to catch readers during the setup phase with the rinse info


Pre rinsing is so harmless, I haven’t figured out why people want the clouding just yet, but many don’t. Post pics of this tank if possible.
 
Last edited:
Can we see pics of this tank, its water details
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new