Pistol shrimp question

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just bought a pistol shrimp yesterday and it immediately paired up with the watchman goby. Well today I noticed that the pistol shrimp is gone and the watchman goby is in the front of the display out in the open. I can’t find the pistol shrimp anymore and at this point I’m not sure what to do.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I just bought a pistol shrimp yesterday and it immediately paired up with the watchman goby. Well today I noticed that the pistol shrimp is gone and the watchman goby is in the front of the display out in the open. I can’t find the pistol shrimp anymore and at this point I’m not sure what to do.
It may be establishing its home, preparing for molt or hiding
What other tank occupants do you have?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sailfin tang Coral beauty two clowns lawnmower blenny three mollies starfish yellow tang that’s about it
I don’t seeing any going after shrimp

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine disappears sometimes for days at a time. I’ll think he’s dead then he will be cruising around all of a sudden.
Well the first day he was snapping like crazy and I could hear it no problem but know I don’t here anything so I’m just a little worried.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odds are the shrimp is hiding preparing for a molt. Be aware that lawnmower blennies do not play nice in alot of cases, specifically with other bottom dwelling species. Keep an eye on the blennie and the shrimp goby.

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odds are the shrimp is hiding preparing for a molt. Be aware that lawnmower blennies do not play nice in alot of cases, specifically with other bottom dwelling species. Keep an eye on the blennie and the shrimp goby.
The yellow watchman goby and the blenny have been together for years probably like 4 so I wouldn’t be to worried.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is in a burrow under a rock with a barber goby and I seldom see it. Once in a while I see it pushing sand out but I never see it out away from the burrow or goby. I have never heard it either but I know it is in there. Just the way they are. I just added a watchman and pistol to another tank and don't expect to see either unless I find their burrow. NOt sure they''ve paired up yet but as the pistol isn't out in the open like the first night I'm assuming so.

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4DDB33E3-4C4C-4507-A71F-A9A52F33FF52.jpeg

My boy is doing work! Tunnels everywhere! I usually only see him at night but i will see him pop out every now and then when i feed. He is patiently waiting for his Goby buddy who is in QT.

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with that particular pistol species, I have Randall's and a Tiger. They won't go after fish actively but if one comes poking around the burrow it's possible the shrimp could injure it when it snaps at it. They might actively attack and kill other shrimp near their burrow though. Pretty sure my Tiger killed off my peppermint shrimp.
This one is a tiger

Back