Pistol shrimp snapping at goby?

nrm2202

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I’ve had a wheeler goby in my 13.5 gallon tank for a couple of weeks now and yesterday I picked up a candy pistol shrimp from my lfs and added him to the tank. When I first added him (after acclimating) he hid in a small hole in a rock and it took him around 24 hours to come out. My goby already had a small burrow underneath a rock that he hangs out in, and I noticed the shrimp made his way into this hole. Now I’ve seen the goby try and enter the hole and hear the pistol snap, followed by the goby quickly rushing out. Since then the goby has seemed hesitant to return to the hole.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? From a lot of what I’ve seen people have had shrimp and gobies pair quickly with no problem, and can find almost no one saying the shrimp acts aggressive towards their goby. Is this something I should be worried about, and is it likely the shrimp will harm/kill the goby?

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya the pistol will not alow the goby back in as they are very territorial my pistol even goes after snails that are to close to his home

Aka that is pretty normal behavior for a pistol

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back