Pistol shrimp & watchman goby

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had my pistol shrimp for a long time. Recently, I added a watchman goby. I saw him about a week ago but also had a very minor shift in rock work. Haven't seen either one of them since. Haven't seen any tunnels, or mounds. holes, nothing. Do you think they both perished?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have had my pistol shrimp for a long time. Recently, I added a watchman goby. I saw him about a week ago but also had a very minor shift in rock work. Haven't seen either one of them since. Haven't seen any tunnels, or mounds. holes, nothing. Do you think they both perished?
They do hide well but generally come out when food is introduced. When they bond, they tend to be very shy and can be AWOL for days especially with the shrimp having weak eyesight relying on the watchman for protection and in return will provide the watchman a home in their hiding area which is a process they prioritize.

OP
OP
Kathy Floyd

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any snapping sound? My pair often goes days without any signs of activity. Most likely they are just hiding at the moment and will come out soon.
Haven't heard the snapping in a few days either.

Haven't seen him come out for food either.

I'll give it another week and hope for the best.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well, guess who showed up today? Mr. Watchman. Haven't seen (or heard) the shrimp yet, but hoping they were both just chilling underground for a while.
I had a pair that didn't bond. The Randall shrimp just went off by itself. I had to move the goby to another tank since it was getting harassed by the starry blenny, but I think the pistol shrimp is still in my display. I never see it hear it, but I see one mound that changes and I have a billion amphipods it could live off of. I haven't seen it in 8 months or more.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My randall’s pistol shrimp was living by itself in a tank for about 1 year. Tbh I completely forgot about it until I tore the tank down and found it alive and well. Now its been living with its partner a Yellow Watchman Goby for more than a year. The shrimp doesnt snap as much but I know its there cause there’s always new burrows here and there.

FD3CDAB8-A199-4487-8933-90BC92958D07.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back