PJ Reefs

Nameless Ghoul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope this is allowed as it pertains to another forum, if not, just delete.

Don't know how many people here also visit the NR forums, but a member over there has a really neat 1/4 gallon jar and light setup. He also has just launched a kickstarter if anyone is interested.

fd26f33a68f67f07d6df540715231b4a_large.gif

Link to thr thread on NR:
Join the Journey, PJ reefs KICKSTARTER NOW LIVE! - General Discussion - Nano-Reef.com Forums

And link to the Kickstarter if you just want to check that part out:
PJ reefs, Bringing the Ocean to Your Desktop by PJ reefs ? Kickstarter

50f2031507e6db812d7a0af47463f86e_large.jpeg

e632fb3fc770684be44e2bcd09eb3e6d_large.jpeg

Just started PJ Reef / 6-7 month old PJ Reef / 1 1/2 year old PJ reef

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nameless Ghoul

Nameless Ghoul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that may have checked out the kickstarter on this and felt that the price was a bit steep, PJ has added a new reward level with a plastic resin lamp instead of the metal lamp. This brought the cost down from $150 to $60 for the lamp and jar. The metal lamp reward is still there, but there is a cheaper option now.

Just an FYI, I don't have a horse in this race (or should I say a fish in this reef), I'm just helping to spread the word for a neat idea by a fellow reefer who is trying to get a business started.

Thank you to all who have checked it out, and to those that haven't, please at least give it a look.

Here is his initial video describing the PJ Reef Ecosystem:

[video=youtube;BqMLd07hjbg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqMLd07hjbg&feature=youtu.be[/video]

And here's a new video he has posted in his first update for backers.

[video=youtube;jZ41RfzSa0Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jZ41RfzSa0Y[/video]

Last edited:

Reef Fever

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a neat idea but something about sticking coral in a jar with no flow kinda just doesn't seem right to me

OP
OP
Nameless Ghoul

Nameless Ghoul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a neat idea but something about sticking coral in a jar with no flow kinda just doesn't seem right to me
I agree about the flow. It would certainly be a bit more aesthetically pleasing with a little flow, but he's been doing these for awhile now with no ill effect.

Hmm I see. He wasn't clear on that part. And so you have to wait til November to receive it.
It's how kickstarter works. Once the pledge drive is over, and IF it's successfully funded, kickstarter will release the funds to him. Only then can he pay his manufacturer and have them start producing the lights. Then he has to wait for them to be made and shipped to him. Then he has to ship them out to the backers.

IllustrioSolo

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And what if he doesn't make it to that pledge.... I think his product....there isn't much proprietory about it.

OP
OP
Nameless Ghoul

Nameless Ghoul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he doesn't meet his funding goal, then no one is ever charged the money they pledged and life goes on.

I'm not here to convince anybody this is the coolest thing ever. It isn't. But it is neat. I'm just trying to spread the word about a fellow reefer's project he's trying to get off the ground.

If you have questions about the project, there is a place to ask them at the bottom of the kickstarter page. He would be better at answering questions than me.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 51 25.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 48 23.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back