Place Sun Coral near overflow???

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a good idea to place a sun coral near the overflow so all the uneaten food in the aquarium has to go past it before reaching the filter?

Sounds like maybe a good idea on paper?

I need some insight please.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No
They prefer very low light setting and moderate water flow

OP
OP
LardLad

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An LFS here says they just feed them AB+. I would think they would not do well with that. Since they eat meaty stuff.
I don't know.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An LFS here says they just feed them AB+. I would think they would not do well with that. Since they eat meaty stuff.
I don't know.
I cant say i have tried, but to me that seems like me trying to survive on vitamins and water. I could limp by awhile but probably not great. I have never used AB+ though she maybe i am way off i just know they have never done well for me without specificallly target feeding with lps pellets/mysis/etc....in which case they have done great.

OP
OP
LardLad

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant say i have tried, but to me that seems like me trying to survive on vitamins and water. I could limp by awhile but probably not great. I have never used AB+ though she maybe i am way off i just know they have never done well for me without specificallly target feeding with lps pellets/mysis/etc....in which case they have done great.
Have you done the coke bottle method?

If so, how long would you leave them covered after feeding?

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend a fathead or yellowhead dendro instead of a sun coral. Much easier to keep and look basically identical.

Ichtha_yo Stuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine reefroids and mysis 2-3x per week and it has been doing well. I have mine under an overhang. I know some people have had success mounting them under powerheads so they get the food pulled from the powerhead. Placing them under the overflow could do the same thin. The only thing I would be concerned of is algae growth on any of the exposed skeleton. I find it easy to use a Julians Thing to target feed it and then target feed the other LPS in the tank.

Last edited:

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you done the coke bottle method?

If so, how long would you leave them covered after feeding?

I have when i got an extremely unhealthy one from an LFS that did not want to open up. It did work eventually.. Did not take long to "train" it though. I usually feed coral in the evenings about an hour before lights go out. Sun coral learned pretty quickly thats a good time to open up.

Ichtha_yo Stuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have when i got an extremely unhealthy one from an LFS that did not want to open up. It did work eventually.. Did not take long to "train" it though. I usually feed coral in the evenings about an hour before lights go out. Sun coral learned pretty quickly thats a good time to open up.
That’s when I feed mine too.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have six colonies. Some are open all day while others open up in the evening. They like a moderate flow. The nicest ones are open all day and get fed brine shrimp and mysis every other day. Frozen food is defrosted in a squeeze bottle and the food is shot so that the current takes the food to the open polyps.

Ichtha_yo Stuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C81E12D1-FCB8-40AD-BA47-5F2F7872BF98.jpeg
E3E5EB27-0421-4D03-9191-B298BDF0E459.jpeg

Here is mine.

rhdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is actually an excellent idea, IME. A couple of years ago I moved several colonies up there that were failing, and they are rebounding very nicely. The light doesn't bother them at all. They do catch quite a bit of food on their own, but I still target feed them as well. Since they are so close to the surface it is really easy to feed them, even with a turkey baster. The flow seems to be perfect for them.
IMG_2800.JPEG

OP
OP
LardLad

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is actually an excellent idea, IME. A couple of years ago I moved several colonies up there that were failing, and they are rebounding very nicely. The light doesn't bother them at all. They do catch quite a bit of food on their own, but I still target feed them as well. Since they are so close to the surface it is really easy to feed them, even with a turkey baster. The flow seems to be perfect for them.
IMG_2800.JPEG
Thats it. Im doing it!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back