Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a newly cycled fluval 13.5 which was cycled, ran tests
ammonia was 0
nitrates and nitrites were 0 as well
salinity was 1.026
temp 78

placed a torch coral frag acclimated it via drip and temp placed in the tank to find it the next morning not opening up. the next day it was just the Skelton of the coral left same with the gsp it never opened up. I have introduced a small clownfish to the tank.

BamboozleBean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lighting might be a problem too, I’m not sure how strong the Fluval stock light is.

OP
OP
W

wasi99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got them from a pretty reputable saltwater store in Calgary. the torch just gone the next morning

Sweetreef21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has your tank been up and cycled? And are you 100% sure that its fully cycled?

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something must be off with your water. Lck of lighting will not kill a torch over night. How long did you cycle the tank? what did you use to cycle it? live or dry rock? dry or live sand? are you using RODI or tap water? What are your actual water params?

SG
temp
ammonia
Nitrite
nitrate
phosphate
calcium
alkalinity
ph

The more info you can give us, the more help we can provide.

OP
OP
W

wasi99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SG 1.026
temp 78
ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
nitrate 0
phosphate not too sure
calcium. Not too sure
alkalinity 9.6 via Hanna
ph 8.2
RODI
Live sand live rock
I used the live rock I have in my other reef tank so I didn’t cycle any live rock and use some bioballs from my already established aquarium
About a week that’s what my lfs said given my circumstances

Last edited:

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that stands out to me is the complete lack of Nitrates. Nitrates are always present in my experience, and are necessary for success. The ONLY exception to this would be when using other export methods such as turf scrubbers, GFO, or a combination of the 2, whech when overdone can strip the system of ALL PO4 and NO3 causing problems.

Also, if the tank has only been setup for a week or two, it is likely to be quite unstable. Even with the use of live rock and sand, a week is not long enough for a new tank to balance itself out and be prepared for sensitive life. I would simply give things time to settle before adding anymore corals. Leave the clown, let it get comfortable for a few weeks. Watch your nitrates come up a bit with feedings, and try another coral in a few weeks.

OP
OP
W

wasi99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great, thank you so much. I'll see how that goes.

KJones90s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got them from a pretty reputable saltwater store in Calgary. the torch just gone the next morning
Do you have peppermint shrimp in the tank?
I’ve had a torch disappear due to those jerks before.

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that stands out to me is the complete lack of Nitrates. Nitrates are always present in my experience, and are necessary for success. The ONLY exception to this would be when using other export methods such as turf scrubbers, GFO, or a combination of the 2, whech when overdone can strip the system of ALL PO4 and NO3 causing problems.

Also, if the tank has only been setup for a week or two, it is likely to be quite unstable. Even with the use of live rock and sand, a week is not long enough for a new tank to balance itself out and be prepared for sensitive life. I would simply give things time to settle before adding anymore corals. Leave the clown, let it get comfortable for a few weeks. Watch your nitrates come up a bit with feedings, and try another coral in a few weeks.

+1 Nitrates

OP
OP
W

wasi99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only live creatures in the tank is the clown and a few hermits.
I'll probably just get the lfs to check my water tomorrow to be safe.

OP
OP
W

wasi99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been testing my water daily. nitrates are still at 0 without any change, any way of dosing or any suggestions.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back