Placement for a dragon soul favia?

floridareef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I just picked up a Dragon Soul Favia. Any suggestions for placement.

I am running 250w 20k mh's 6 inches above the water in a 125g.

Thanks for any input!

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well 1st things 1st I would start the favia on the bottom maybe partially shaded and let it acclimate to your tank after a week or 2 id move it ither out to light on the sand bed or mid level. I have mines mid level but its under t5 so with that said mh would definetly be more light nice piece goodluck with it

OP
OP
F

floridareef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well 1st things 1st I would start the favia on the bottom maybe partially shaded and let it acclimate to your tank after a week or 2 id move it ither out to light on the sand bed or mid level. I have mines mid level but its under t5 so with that said mh would definetly be more light nice piece goodluck with it

Thx lps1212, Will more light bring up the colors? Can they have to much light after 2 week acclimation.

reefknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a couple pieces of this coral, love it! My previous piece was under MH & T5 and I had it on the sandbed of a 90gal, in partial shade. My newer piece is on the sand bed under T5's and I could stand to move it up a little to increase its color. Yes, they can have too much light. If you watch the coloration and its behavior though you can determine where it prefers to be.

Good luck

OP
OP
F

floridareef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a couple pieces of this coral, love it! My previous piece was under MH & T5 and I had it on the sandbed of a 90gal, in partial shade. My newer piece is on the sand bed under T5's and I could stand to move it up a little to increase its color. Yes, they can have too much light. If you watch the coloration and its behavior though you can determine where it prefers to be.

Good luck

Thx reefknight, it is such an amazing piece I would hate to have it change.

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good luck
that's what I was about to write I have played with my colony and I'm sure you will also gl on finding its sweet spot the colors on the DSF are amazing

reefknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going back through some old posts today and ran across this thread, guess we can revive it.

How's everyones Dragon Soul almost a year later?

Mine lost its third ring of color, too much light I believe. It has the ultra bright green eye and the dark purple, but not the red ring. It still maintains its green rim as well.

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine on the sandbed directly under 70w MH in an AP12 and feed a lot. It and the Reverse Prism keep normal coloration as long as I feed a lot.

Av8Bluewater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going back through some old posts today and ran across this thread, guess we can revive it.

How's everyones Dragon Soul almost a year later?

Mine lost its third ring of color, too much light I believe. It has the ultra bright green eye and the dark purple, but not the red ring. It still maintains its green rim as well.
Bump did you figure out how to get your colors back?

reefknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump did you figure out how to get your colors back?

No, I haven't. It has grown quite a bit but has not regained the red color. Has excellent green and purple coloration and grown twice the size in about a year. The third color still eludes me though. Since it has encrusted onto the rocks I'm not able to move it. :(

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine for almost 2 years... it sits on the sand bed, has all its vibrant colors, but has not grown hardly at all.... only 1 new head. I don't get it. Im thinking of placing it on a rock to see if that makes a difference.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back