OP
OP
Surfside74

Surfside74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone think im crazy for not using filter socks and just using an oversized skimmer in the sump. I am tired of cleaning the socks and wonder if they have true value of not i have recently taken them off my other tank and have not noticed any ill effects.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't speak for 'anybody'... but no, I don't think you're crazy.

Filter socks, floss, whatever physical media you might consider... all are good at removing larger particulates from your tank. IF, and only if, you clean them regularly. BRS did a video, you need to change your socks more than weekly. Twice a week... daily, even, for them to really be effective. Otherwise, they trap organic particles, mostly fish poop and food, and hold it in place while it breaks down into particles small enough to flow on through the socks.

BRS didn't talk about it, but one additional thing that I've found. They act as a trap, catching beneficial critters, copepods, mysid and gammarus shrimps, etc. These critters would otherwise flow through the system unimpeded, excepting the few that might get mulched by a pump head.

Add to that the huge maintenance task changing and cleaning these filters, and it's no surprise at all that you might choose such a solution.

I did. I do not use socks, floss, or anything of the sort.

I will make one recommendation. If you don't have socks, you've usually got fairly high amounts of food running into a refugeum or overflow compartment. Get yourself a sump monster. Big emerald crab, sally lightfoot, rock crab that came in as a hitchhiker on someone's live rock... something that can live in that sump and keep accumulations of this gunk from building up. It really does help.

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a lot of back and forth regarding sump or no sump. In my opinion it is personal preference and how motivated you are to clean it regularly. More importantly, how and why are you implementing the sock? Everyone's system is different of course and say for instance, I have a sock holder in my sump so I can use a sock at any time if necessary. If I use the sock it is primarily for when i rearrange or disturb my display causing loads of crap in the column. The sock filters it out, keeping it out of my sump, and then i remove it for my skimmer to skim the remaining waste. So in my case it serves its purpose, gets cleaned and put aside. Initially the point in my filter sock was just to reduce splashing bubbles due to water pressure coming from the drain. As Greybeard mentioned, we are trying to reduce and export what is making particles in our tank (poop, food) not break them down and spread them through our tank, which is what the sock eventually does. There is no argument that all that water pressure being restricted by your sock is grinding what you intended on removing into tiny particles disbursed within your display. I go with Greybeard and his insightful response on this one. Good luck!

OP
OP
Surfside74

Surfside74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't speak for 'anybody'... but no, I don't think you're crazy.

Filter socks, floss, whatever physical media you might consider... all are good at removing larger particulates from your tank. IF, and only if, you clean them regularly. BRS did a video, you need to change your socks more than weekly. Twice a week... daily, even, for them to really be effective. Otherwise, they trap organic particles, mostly fish poop and food, and hold it in place while it breaks down into particles small enough to flow on through the socks.

BRS didn't talk about it, but one additional thing that I've found. They act as a trap, catching beneficial critters, copepods, mysid and gammarus shrimps, etc. These critters would otherwise flow through the system unimpeded, excepting the few that might get mulched by a pump head.

Add to that the huge maintenance task changing and cleaning these filters, and it's no surprise at all that you might choose such a solution.

I did. I do not use socks, floss, or anything of the sort.

I will make one recommendation. If you don't have socks, you've usually got fairly high amounts of food running into a refugeum or overflow compartment. Get yourself a sump monster. Big emerald crab, sally lightfoot, rock crab that came in as a hitchhiker on someone's live rock... something that can live in that sump and keep accumulations of this gunk from building up. It really does help.
Thank you. Thats kind of what i was thinking. I have a peppermint shrimp in the sump of my other tank now but can definitely add a emerald crab in there as well to help keep sump clean.

OP
OP
Surfside74

Surfside74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a lot of back and forth regarding sump or no sump. In my opinion it is personal preference and how motivated you are to clean it regularly. More importantly, how and why are you implementing the sock? Everyone's system is different of course and say for instance, I have a sock holder in my sump so I can use a sock at any time if necessary. If I use the sock it is primarily for when i rearrange or disturb my display causing loads of crap in the column. The sock filters it out, keeping it out of my sump, and then i remove it for my skimmer to skim the remaining waste. So in my case it serves its purpose, gets cleaned and put aside. Initially the point in my filter sock was just to reduce splashing bubbles due to water pressure coming from the drain. As Greybeard mentioned, we are trying to reduce and export what is making particles in our tank (poop, food) not break them down and spread them through our tank, which is what the sock eventually does. There is no argument that all that water pressure being restricted by your sock is grinding what you intended on removing into tiny particles disbursed within your display. I go with Greybeard and his insightful response on this one. Good luck!
Thank you. I will keep my socks on hand just in case i need to rearrange stuff like you said.. as far as splashing water, i just extended drain pipe below water line on my other tank and it is dead silent. Going to do same thing on this tank .

OP
OP
Surfside74

Surfside74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have a pretty good idea of the rest of the equipment i am using for this build. The only thing i am on the fence about is a uv sterilizer. I am leaning towards installing one. From what ive read they are beneficial

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have a pretty good idea of the rest of the equipment i am using for this build. The only thing i am on the fence about is a uv sterilizer. I am leaning towards installing one. From what ive read they are beneficial

Your system, your choice. Cheap ones don't do much, if anything, good ones are expensive. You MUST keep the bulb fresh (<6 mo), and keep it clean, or it isn't going to be doing you any good.

There are some arguments that they are killing off useful, beneficial critters... There may be some truth to this, but it's not why I don't use one. I just don't believe they do much good. Another piece of equipment to buy and maintain. If you've got a healthy, stable system, there shouldn't be any harmful pathogens in your system for the UV to kill... so what's the point? In an aquarium shop? Ok, but that's a much different environment from what most of us have in our homes.

I've been at this a long time, and I've learned to trust the KISS principal. Simple is best. Live rock, sand, macro algae refugeum, a good skimmer, as needed use of GAC and GFO, a solid water change schedule, don't overcrowd, don't dose stuff if you don't know what's in it, or if you can't test for it. Maintain steady Alk/Calc/Mag and pH. Don't keep aggressive species or groups that don't behave well together... Good basic aquarium husbandry. Keep it clean, keep it stable. There is no magic device that can do it for you.

The single most important component of a successful aquarium is an attentive, diligent aquarist. One willing to spend the time, do the WORK required to maintain one of these fabulous little slices of the ocean. There is no substitute.

OP
OP
Surfside74

Surfside74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180422_170109.jpg
Plumbed the tank today. Let it dry overnight and water test it on Tuesday. Getting closer
20180422_170112.jpg

OP
OP
Surfside74

Surfside74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have a couple of decisions to make and feel free to chime in. I am going to be getting a tunze top off and thats for sure. I have to decide on the following:

I am going to be using radion gen 4 leds for sure (going to send one gen 2 back for upgrade and buy another new one to have 2). I am trying to decide if i should add some t5 maybe in a hybrid fixture or maybe do a radion xr15 in the middle of the 2 xr30 for even better coverage. I also have to decide between 2 gyre style pumps or 2 mp40. I will be using a apex controller but not sure on which one yet. Thoughts?

OP
OP
Surfside74

Surfside74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great.
Thank you. While it is frustrating at times it will be worth it in the end. I am taking my time and doing this build right. I have dry rock ready to go in for the aquascaping when i get some time to do it. Didnt want to use live rock. Trying to keep all the pests and such out as much as possible. Had good luck on last tank doing it this way.

OP
OP
Surfside74

Surfside74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your system, your choice. Cheap ones don't do much, if anything, good ones are expensive. You MUST keep the bulb fresh (<6 mo), and keep it clean, or it isn't going to be doing you any good.

There are some arguments that they are killing off useful, beneficial critters... There may be some truth to this, but it's not why I don't use one. I just don't believe they do much good. Another piece of equipment to buy and maintain. If you've got a healthy, stable system, there shouldn't be any harmful pathogens in your system for the UV to kill... so what's the point? In an aquarium shop? Ok, but that's a much different environment from what most of us have in our homes.

I've been at this a long time, and I've learned to trust the KISS principal. Simple is best. Live rock, sand, macro algae refugeum, a good skimmer, as needed use of GAC and GFO, a solid water change schedule, don't overcrowd, don't dose stuff if you don't know what's in it, or if you can't test for it. Maintain steady Alk/Calc/Mag and pH. Don't keep aggressive species or groups that don't behave well together... Good basic aquarium husbandry. Keep it clean, keep it stable. There is no magic device that can do it for you.

The single most important component of a successful aquarium is an attentive, diligent aquarist. One willing to spend the time, do the WORK required to maintain one of these fabulous little slices of the ocean. There is no substitute.
Ive decided on not using a uv sterilizer. Going to run this tank like my others. Very simple and easy. I am thinking about 20 gallon water changes bi weekly, over sized skimmer, plenty of flow, and dose only when needed which will be quite some time before that happens.

OP
OP
Surfside74

Surfside74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180506_102744.jpg
New water stations for water changes and new mp40s. Getting closer. Have to finish the living room floor and then put everything in position and get it filled. Hopefully in next week or so.
20180506_101841.jpg

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180510_172737.jpg
new floors are in and cabinets done. Did the aquascaping today. Think it turned out pretty nice. Few more things then time to fill it up.
20180510_172155.jpg

That's looking terrific.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back