OP
OP
Surfside74

Surfside74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, How did you convert it to a herbie if it was drilled for a durso?
I have 2 one inch drains. Instead of doing a durso, i did the herbie by cutting one drain pipe about 4 to 5 inches below where the waterline in the overflow would be. The second drain is about the level of where the waterline would be in the overflow towards the top. I then put a gate valve on the short drain pipe and slowly close it till water rises just to the top if the other drain where it slowly goes done the sides if the pipe. This way i get full siphon and alot of water going down the short pipe and very little going down the tall pipe (it acts more of an emergency drain but it stays wet with a little water flowing through it. Hope that helps.

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 one inch drains. Instead of doing a durso, i did the herbie by cutting one drain pipe about 4 to 5 inches below where the waterline in the overflow would be. The second drain is about the level of where the waterline would be in the overflow towards the top. I then put a gate valve on the short drain pipe and slowly close it till water rises just to the top if the other drain where it slowly goes done the sides if the pipe. This way i get full siphon and alot of water going down the short pipe and very little going down the tall pipe (it acts more of an emergency drain but it stays wet with a little water flowing through it. Hope that helps.
Thanks, I'm looking at a tank that's a 120 but has dual overflows on the back glass, I wonder If I could do something like you did as I like the herbie and bean overflow better then the durso

OP
OP
Surfside74

Surfside74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well ladies and gentlemen i have thousands of microbubbles. They are on the glass, in the sump by the skimmers and drain lines, flowing through the sump, on the mp40s, etc... i am pretty sure this is normal as the system just got turned on today and all piping, equipment, epoxy on the rocks, skimmer, etc.. are all breaking in. If im wrong please chime in. I havent added the dr tims or ammonia yet. I am going to do that Tuesday when im home to keep an eye on it.

TysTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well ladies and gentlemen i have thousands of microbubbles. They are on the glass, in the sump by the skimmers and drain lines, flowing through the sump, on the mp40s, etc... i am pretty sure this is normal as the system just got turned on today and all piping, equipment, epoxy on the rocks, skimmer, etc.. are all breaking in. If im wrong please chime in. I havent added the dr tims or ammonia yet. I am going to do that Tuesday when im home to keep an eye on it.

Totally normal. Also I really like the rock work. Nice job!

OP
OP
Surfside74

Surfside74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally normal. Also I really like the rock work. Nice job!
Thank you. I am pretty happy with it.

Going to lower skimmer tomorrow. Think it is too high. Should be 8 or so inches in water and only in about 6 inches right now. Lower it down and see from there. Havent been home yet to see whats going on with microbubbles. Guess ill see in morning when i get home.

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like how you matched the side tables with the stand. It’s neat. Stocking plans?

OP
OP
Surfside74

Surfside74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like how you matched the side tables with the stand. It’s neat. Stocking plans?
Going to put fish in when cycle is done and let them get established for a bit. Let the tank go through all the ugly stages before i start putting corals in. Then probably going to do sps up top and lps and others on bottom. Basically full mixed reef. Going to go very slow and am going to frag every coral i get so i have a spare or one to trade. My 60 gallon i have now im going to keep and it is full mixed reef. You can see it in my profile pic.

OP
OP
Surfside74

Surfside74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I lowered the skimmer today and it is a lot quieter. Still producing a lot of micro bubbles though but it only has been running for 2 days. From what I have read and experienced it takes a good week or so for then to break in and stop making the microbubbles. I just shut it off so I can let everything settle down a bit before I put the dr Tim's into the tank and start the cycling process.

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s it going? Btw what’s your plan for a mixing station?

OP
OP
Surfside74

Surfside74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s it going? Btw what’s your plan for a mixing station?
That's my mixing station there. 2 35 gallon containers. One for fresh and one for salt. Tank is going well. On day 3 of cycling it. Still have to mount the lights and finish some electrical work on it but very pleased so far.
20180507_140805.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome!

OP
OP
Surfside74

Surfside74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And skimmer is back online. Welcome back microbubbles. Haha. Snowing in the tank. Hurry up and break in already.

OP
OP
Surfside74

Surfside74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. I am at 4ppm of ammonia and I am starting to get some nitrites. The cycling is coming along nicely.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know how long it will take my skimmer to break in and stop producing thousands of microbubbles that are getting into my tank? It has been running since friday. It is a reef octopus classic 202-s. Thanks

OP
OP
Surfside74

Surfside74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested water today. Still at 4 of ammonia and .5 of nitrite. Test again tomorrow. Still have alot of microbubbles in tank from the skimmer

OP
OP
Surfside74

Surfside74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. Tank is almost done finishing its cycle and then it's time to play. I did get both of the radion xr30 pros mounted today. Have it set for the AB+ schedule for right now. It's all coming along nicely. Just have to finish up hiding the cords and then I am done for the night.
20180530_194742.jpg

OP
OP
Surfside74

Surfside74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. I fixed the skimmer so no microbubbles anymore. There was a broken air line tube. I have no ammonia but still have nitrite so hopefully few more days then I can add fish and turn on the lights. Think I will bring lights up slowly over a couple of weeks to not have a drastic algae outbreak due to light shock. What do you guys think?

OP
OP
Surfside74

Surfside74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So its been awhile since I posted. The tank cycled and now has fish and some corals in it. Everything seems to be doing good. I will try and post pics shortly. The only issue I have been having for the past few weeks is my water is a little "hazy". I can see all through the tank but it is not crystal clear. I am writing this off as the tank just still getting stabilized and broken in. What do you guys think?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back