Planet Aquarium 180 g braced tank water level question

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 180 gallon planet aquariums tank with an external overflow and it has the glass braces across the top. My water level has always been right at the bottom of the glass braces. Because of this, I have to clean the underside of the glass now and then to remove algae build up.

Is this the normal water level height in the display on these tanks? I do have a clarisea filter roller so my flow is somewhat based off of that I guess if it matters. I just feel like if the glass was slightly higher or the water level was lower, it would be beneficial for light penetration and the water surface flow.
IMG_8401.jpeg
IMG_8403.jpeg
IMG_8404.jpeg
IMG_8405.jpeg

SpursFan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can control the water height via the drain and/or the return pump. If your running a siphon just open the valve slightly to drop water level, if a traditional standpipe you may need to shorten it slightly to drop water level accordingly. If those options don't work you may need to limit your return pump slightly.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 180 gallon planet aquariums tank with an external overflow and it has the glass braces across the top. My water level has always been right at the bottom of the glass braces. Because of this, I have to clean the underside of the glass now and then to remove algae build up.

Is this the normal water level height in the display on these tanks? I do have a clarisea filter roller so my flow is somewhat based off of that I guess if it matters. I just feel like if the glass was slightly higher or the water level was lower, it would be beneficial for light penetration and the water surface flow.
IMG_8401.jpeg
IMG_8403.jpeg
IMG_8404.jpeg
IMG_8405.jpeg
Generally speaking, the water height in the tank is determined by the height of the overflow weirs. That being said, if the water level in the overflow box is too high, this will allow the tank level to also be high. If you have the option of lowering the water in the overflow (with the gate valve i assume is on your main drain), this might help.

Fwiw, if the water level is too much below the glass braces, you'll get salt creep buildup which can fall back into the tank in chunks and damage/burn coral if it lands on it...

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can control the water height via the drain and/or the return pump. If your running a siphon just open the valve slightly to drop water level, if a traditional standpipe you may need to shorten it slightly to drop water level accordingly. If those options don't work you may need to limit your return pump slightly.

Generally speaking, the water height in the tank is determined by the height of the overflow weirs. That being said, if the water level in the overflow box is too high, this will allow the tank level to also be high. If you have the option of lowering the water in the overflow (with the gate valve i assume is on your main drain), this might help.

Fwiw, if the water level is too much below the glass braces, you'll get salt creep buildup which can fall back into the tank in chunks and damage/burn coral if it lands on it...

My overflow was factory drilled and installed with planet’s tide line box. My drain is a bean animal style so it is a siphon.
I am using a gate valve on the main drain.

It took me forever at setup to get the flow of the return to be right as far as noise and function with the clarisea. Of course I’m no pro so there’s that lol.

I hadn’t thought about salt creep though. I’ll likely leave everything as is. I guess I was just wondering if others with this tank have the same water level or if it is indeed just because of my adjustments.
Thanks for the responses!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My overflow was factory drilled and installed with planet’s tide line box. My drain is a bean animal style so it is a siphon.
I am using a gate valve on the main drain.

It took me forever at setup to get the flow of the return to be right as far as noise and function with the clarisea. Of course I’m no pro so there’s that lol.

I hadn’t thought about salt creep though. I’ll likely leave everything as is. I guess I was just wondering if others with this tank have the same water level or if it is indeed just because of my adjustments.
Thanks for the responses!
I have a planet tank with braces and my water level is right at/barely under the glass. I do clean off the algae when I do water changes.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planets external overflows cant flow much. I know they changed them recently but think the flow is still the same. You sound like you’re pushing more water then the weir can handle. Slow the return pump down a little

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planets external overflows can flow much. I know they changed them recently but think the flow is still the same. You sound like you’re pushing more water then the weir can handle. Slow the return pump down a little
Huh??

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The weir on the inside overflow can’t handle a lot of flow. For the water to touch the brace his return pump is flowing more than the weir is designed. Can leave it like that or cut the return pump flow down. For the water to be that high in tank he is almost at the top of the weir. If any debris. Blocks the weir like that then tank can overflow.

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The weir on the inside overflow can’t handle a lot of flow. For the water to touch the brace his return pump is flowing more than the weir is designed. Can leave it like that or cut the return pump flow down. For the water to be that high in tank he is almost at the top of the weir. If any debris. Blocks the weir like that then tank can overflow.
Actually your not wrong, I try to clean the weir when I think about it. I’m only about half way up the teeth, but I just took a toothbrush to all of them and the glass is not protruding into the water as much. Thanks for the reminder. I use a reef octo varioS 8, and only run it on the 3rd setting. After cleaning the weir and lowering it to speed 2, the water level is about right. But I went back to speed 3 and I’ll likely deal with the algae on the glass just for the better flow turn over.

Originally I planned to use a synergy v2 overflow, but since the tank came with the tideline, I just used it instead. The pic below is just after cleaning the weir teeth.
IMG_8426.jpeg

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually your not wrong, I try to clean the weir when I think about it. I’m only about half way up the teeth, but I just took a toothbrush to all of them and the glass is not protruding into the water as much. Thanks for the reminder. I use a reef octo varioS 8, and only run it on the 3rd setting. After cleaning the weir and lowering it to speed 2, the water level is about right. But I went back to speed 3 and I’ll likely deal with the algae on the glass just for the better flow turn over.

Originally I planned to use a synergy v2 overflow, but since the tank came with the tideline, I just used it instead. The pic below is just after cleaning the weir teeth.
IMG_8426.jpeg
I went back and forth with planet. I wanted the bigger box and they gave me a very high price and they told me it will flow more then it does. I use very high flow in my sumps so wanted something to flow more. Also the water leaves in the old overflow box I’m not big on. I may eventually have a custom box made but lazy and don’t want to replumb.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 150 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back