Planet Aquarium Mega Matrix 180 or Red Sea Reefer-s 850

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am finally pulling the trigger on my next tank. It is now down to these two: Planet Aquarium Mega Matrix 180 ($3900) or Red Sea Reefer-s 850 ($5800). Reefer-S can be delivered within 2 weeks, while Mega Matrix I am looking at 8 weeks. Reefer-S comes ready to go (minus the mesh lid I am adding), while the Mega Matrix 180 doesn't include plumbing or a sump ($1000-$1200). Mega Matrix is about $900 cheaper, comes with a canopy, but it is not eurobraced and the cabinet is maple vs Reefer-S being aluminum.

If you were going to pick between these two, which one would you pick and why?

RGoltz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would go with the Red Sea. I think that the product is well integrated; there is something to be said for a well engineered system (inclusive of tank, stand, sump, plumbing).

OP
OP
E

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would go with the Red Sea. I think that the product is well integrated; there is something to be said for a well engineered system (inclusive of tank, stand, sump, plumbing).
So your vote is for Reefer-S because the whole unit has been tried and tested to work together so well, vs a custom-ish build. My financee's biggest request is a more quite system. I think Red Sea wins this?

RGoltz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either system can be quiet, that is really accomplished through the use of a continuous siphon system. In the case of the Red Sea every inch of plumbing is pre-assembled so you can’t get it wrong!

I’m a little curious how you narrowed to these two choices? When looking at the 6x2x2 tanks, I would give the Waterbox Reef 220.6 a serious look at $4,400.

OP
OP
E

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either system can be quiet, that is really accomplished through the use of a continuous siphon system. In the case of the Red Sea every inch of plumbing is pre-assembled so you can’t get it wrong!

I’m a little curious how you narrowed to these two choices? When looking at the 6x2x2 tanks, I would give the Waterbox Reef 220.6 a serious look at $4,400.
I did not want to waterbox nor the regular red sea reefer line. Failing seams appears to be a pretty common issue on rimless tanks. When all said and done the potential for devastation justifies spending extra for eurobracing. If eurobracing wasnt an issue then I would get the reefer 3xl 900 because its a great value... Rimless is just far too scary for me.

RGoltz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that many of the seam failures were due to an issue with stands. Still, I 100% understand the desire for a braced tank. At a certain size it just makes sense.

I do still like the turnkey systems. Then you can focus your planning on the larger and more important factors such as: circulation, lighting, aquascaping. Those have way more impact than worrying about plumbing and sumps. Plus, it is so much easier to project the system cost.

I like the interior of the Red Sea stand WAY more than the Planet Aquarium stands. The Planet stands are just old school and hard to get in/out of.

OP
OP
E

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would go with planet. i was looking at the mega 120, 1/2 glass and 3/4 bottom, very well built. i guess thats why you dont see many used, red sea a dime a dozen and the seem splits are scary. your tank is the foundation of your reef.
This is why I actually chose the reefer-s. I went ahead and did the 1000 model as well. I went to my LFS and did a little tour of the planet aquarium line. Here in DFW we see almost every model and size at the store. What I noticed about the planet aquarium tanks is that the aquarium itself is well made, the silicone work I find is a little sloppy, but not on the viewing side.

The thing that did it for me was the stand and canopy. I did not find either to be high quality and see it bowing in 5-10 years. I myself could build a wooden stand with maple, especially with a good friend owning a lumber mill. I found the canopy to just be too much of an eye sore and pain to deal with, the eurobracing with a mesh lid seems much more appealing to me. After all said and done, with refugium, plumbing, etc., the cost savings of a mega matrix 180 was about $1000 over the reefer-s 1000. Metal stand, eurobracing, and extra 30 gallons of display for $1000 is one heck of a trade.

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is why I actually chose the reefer-s. I went ahead and did the 1000 model as well. I went to my LFS and did a little tour of the planet aquarium line. Here in DFW we see almost every model and size at the store. What I noticed about the planet aquarium tanks is that the aquarium itself is well made, the silicone work I find is a little sloppy, but not on the viewing side.

The thing that did it for me was the stand and canopy. I did not find either to be high quality and see it bowing in 5-10 years. I myself could build a wooden stand with maple, especially with a good friend owning a lumber mill. I found the canopy to just be too much of an eye sore and pain to deal with, the eurobracing with a mesh lid seems much more appealing to me. After all said and done, with refugium, plumbing, etc., the cost savings of a mega matrix 180 was about $1000 over the reefer-s 1000. Metal stand, eurobracing, and extra 30 gallons of display for $1000 is one heck of a trade.
i dont care for the stands, and are expensive. dont like canpopies. up here shipping is the killer, $6-700 and you cant buy direct so the lfs is tacking on who knows how much for just ordering the tank and stand. but the quality looks outstanding on the tank. with there failure rate i wouldnt even consider RS. but thats me.
check custom aquariums, they seem decent also.

OP
OP
E

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont care for the stands, and are expensive. dont like canpopies. up here shipping is the killer, $6-700 and you cant buy direct so the lfs is tacking on who knows how much for just ordering the tank and stand. but the quality looks outstanding on the tank. with there failure rate i wouldnt even consider RS. but thats me.
check custom aquariums, they seem decent also.
The failures on the RS tanks are on the older versions... The new tanks come with fully aluminum stands and the reefer-s line tanks come with eurobracing in addition, so seams wont be failing on the I doubt. I checked around many manufacturers and the RS Reefer-S 1000 was by far the best value tank and one that will last the longest. Made my choice!

RGoltz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The failures on the RS tanks are on the older versions... The new tanks come with fully aluminum stands and the reefer-s line tanks come with eurobracing in addition, so seams wont be failing on the I doubt. I checked around many manufacturers and the RS Reefer-S 1000 was by far the best value tank and one that will last the longest. Made my choice!

Solid choice. Personally the only reason I would not go with the S-1000 is my desire for a 40” stand. And even then..I don’t think I could justify going another direction.

You should feel stoked!

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicone always looks sloppy on the planet tanks I see in the stores. That would drive me crazy. I would go Red Sea.

OP
OP
E

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid choice. Personally the only reason I would not go with the S-1000 is my desire for a 40” stand. And even then..I don’t think I could justify going another direction.

You should feel stoked!
I am very stoked!! I am now just trying to figure out the logistics of getting the tank inside.. thinking heavy duty suction cups and using a pallet jack to get as close as possible to my office window before going thru the window... will be fun. ill post a thread once things get rolling.

Richard baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mega matrix all the way under no way shape or form would I buy a Chinese made huge reef tank read sea has a lot of awesome products but there tanks are not one of them look into how many post online of them just spring leaks. I got a mega matrix and the quality is second to none most of the people who worked at oceanic back in the day when they where the best of the best now work at planet and everything is American made .

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mega matrix all the way under no way shape or form would I buy a Chinese made huge reef tank read sea has a lot of awesome products but there tanks are not one of them look into how many post online of them just spring leaks. I got a mega matrix and the quality is second to none most of the people who worked at oceanic back in the day when they where the best of the best now work at planet and everything is American made .
Actually, most of Planet's rimless tanks are now made in China...

OP
OP
E

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After visiting Planet Aquarium here in Dallas I was very disappointed. Almost all materials are China made. Just assembled here. Their silicone work is not very good and their cabinets are crap. The backs are completely exposed and their overflow systems are weak and loud at the same time. You pay more as well since mega matrix doesn’t come completed.

reefer-s 1000 on the other hand, is a beast of a product. No complaints at all so far. I have 2 systems now operating flawlessly.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back