Plank auto feeder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be installing a plank auto feeder and connecting it to the power bar linked to my P4. Hopefully it’s straightforward but it’s also GHL. Any words of wisdom in this endeavor?

I love GHL products but the P4 set up drove me up the wall.

Cali9dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Set up 2 timers. One for the amount of time you want the plank to run…say 30 seconds on and 2 hours off. The second timer for the time of day you want it to run…like 10am to 5pm. Then create a programmable logic with input 1 as your first timer AND input 2 is your second timer. Set up whatever plug you have it plugged into to “function” “programmable logic” and whatever number programmable logic you set up. Done deal.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use one timer switch to short mode so you can program in seconds.

I did not want to waste a GHL outlet for the mix pump and it runs all the time.

wmb0003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the pump 24/7. Otherwise it tends to clog up is my experience. My plan runs 4 times a day for 6 minutes each time

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be installing a plank auto feeder and connecting it to the power bar linked to my P4. Hopefully it’s straightforward but it’s also GHL. Any words of wisdom in this endeavor?

I love GHL products but the P4 set up drove me up the wall.
I have two planks in my tank controlled by a Profilux, and I think the way I have it set up is working very well. (I mostly got the second plank so I could have one on each side of the tank - when I only had one, the fish were all hanging around all day on that side of the tank.)

So you can get this done with one timer. I have one pair of timers controlling the plank feeding augers, and I use programmable logic to turn on their corresponding pumps, with a delay for them to run two minutes after the motor stops. That way you make sure that all the food makes it into the water column. Controlling the pump with programmable logic instead of a timer is cleaner, that way you don't have to deal with two timers every time you want to modify the feeding schedule.

I know some people keep their pumps running all the time, but I haven't found that necessary at all, and besides the waste of electricity you have to hear them all the time and it's wear and tear on the pumps.

I also have my powerheads set to turn off while the feeding pumps are running, so the food isn't blasted all over the tank.

And I also use the pumps for feeding frozen. I turn the pumps on using a button mounted over the tank that sends a digital signal to the profilux. When you push the button, the pumps come on for 5 minutes and the powerheads turn off. I think this is a great way to feed frozen - the whirlpool that the pump generates defrosts the food and dispenses the pieces of mysis or whatever into the water column. No more dealing with thawing frozen food - just pop the cubes into the plank tubes, press the button, and walk away.

The way this is all working is a little complicated, so I won't get into specifics here. But if you want to set up your planks this way then let me know and I'll give you the details.

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two planks in my tank controlled by a Profilux, and I think the way I have it set up is working very well. (I mostly got the second plank so I could have one on each side of the tank - when I only had one, the fish were all hanging around all day on that side of the tank.)

So you can get this done with one timer. I have one pair of timers controlling the plank feeding augers, and I use programmable logic to turn on their corresponding pumps, with a delay for them to run two minutes after the motor stops. That way you make sure that all the food makes it into the water column. Controlling the pump with programmable logic instead of a timer is cleaner, that way you don't have to deal with two timers every time you want to modify the feeding schedule.

I know some people keep their pumps running all the time, but I haven't found that necessary at all, and besides the waste of electricity you have to hear them all the time and it's wear and tear on the pumps.

I also have my powerheads set to turn off while the feeding pumps are running, so the food isn't blasted all over the tank.

And I also use the pumps for feeding frozen. I turn the pumps on using a button mounted over the tank that sends a digital signal to the profilux. When you push the button, the pumps come on for 5 minutes and the powerheads turn off. I think this is a great way to feed frozen - the whirlpool that the pump generates defrosts the food and dispenses the pieces of mysis or whatever into the water column. No more dealing with thawing frozen food - just pop the cubes into the plank tubes, press the button, and walk away.

The way this is all working is a little complicated, so I won't get into specifics here. But if you want to set up your planks this way then let me know and I'll give you the details.
Thanks for the details you did provide. I think I’m starting to understand “programmable logic” but can you put that in layman’s terms please?

I’m a medical professional lol and I do not understand computer language!

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want it to turn ON/OFF at certain times, use a TIMER function. Just choose the mode that fits how you want to use your feeder.

Thats exactly how I run my Ehiem timer (with the small hack to run it from a 5v USB cable through a wall adaptor/switched socket).
1699844752516.png

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok finally getting around to setting up the plank auto feeder.

I’m using switch channel 1 for the feeder itself and programmed the feeding times/duration. Easy.

Now I need to figure out how to create a programmable logic for switch channel 2 for the pump. It can come on at the same time as the feeder and run for 5 min.

I haven’t seen a step by step in the GHL website that details exactly what I want to do. Also, I’m confused by the function and operator terms on the PL tab.

If someone could walk me through this it would be a great help.

I have 5 Bimac Anthias coming next week and I want to be ready for them

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you're using a timer to run the feeder? Say it's timer 1. Create a programmable logic that is "timer 1 delayed off 5 minutes". Then link that PL to the switch channel for the feeder pump.

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you're using a timer to run the feeder? Say it's timer 1. Create a programmable logic that is "timer 1 delayed off 5 minutes". Then link that PL to the switch channel for the feeder pump.
Yes I’m using timer 1.

Do I do that from the programmable logic option from the menu? I need explicit instructions. Lol

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might have figured out the PL for the delayed off but how do I link that to switch channel 2? I’m in the switch channel tab trying to figure it out

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I may have figured that out as well. On switch channel 2, I selected PL 1. And PL 1 is the command for the delayed off that’s associated with timer 1.
Sound correct?

image.jpg
image.jpg

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, sounds like you've got it! This is much better than having the pump run all the time, which is what some people do. Just be sure to test it to make sure it's all working.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back