Planning a large tank move after curbside delivery, seeking advice.

Orion9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I ordered a 210 gallon aquarium over the holiday and trying to plan its move inside the house after delivery. I'm looking for suggestions and wondering if anyone has hired a LFS to assist with this kind of work in the past, or better to acquire suction cups and recruit friends and neighbors to help? The tank is 7' x 2' x2 and weighs close to 600lbs, I'm guessing I'll need 6 people? Any advice would be appreciated!

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Square furniture dollies and 5 or 6 people will work. remove it out of the crate when it's close to your door, dolly it through the doors, and to the location to lift.

Grill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats the exact same size tank I have, 3/4" inch glass on the bottom and 1/2" on the sides. I don't remember the dry weight but do remember it was HEAVY! It was five friends with Heavy Duty Suction Cups. We moved it from the garage on top of a "48 tall stand.
48 stand.jpg

OP
OP
O

Orion9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions so far, I'll start looking for furniture dollies and suction cups.

Grill, are you running 5 - a360x's over your tank, if so is it SPS dominant? I own 3 but debating how many I'll need for the new tank.

Grill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions so far, I'll start looking for furniture dollies and suction cups.

Grill, are you running 5 - a360x's over your tank, if so is it SPS dominant? I own 3 but debating how many I'll need for the new tank.

Initially I had 4 a360x's (two years) then added another from my office tank. I don't have a SPS dominant tank, only a few pieces. I like the lights because of the wide spread and the shimmer it adds. I recently bought an AI Blade and will see how I like them. Good luck on your build.

Attachments

• PXL_20231126_130043594.jpg
    PXL_20231126_130043594.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 30

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s at all possible, I’d leave the tank crated until you get it in front of the stand. The crate is designed to be moved around, the tank isn’t.

Mullin22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds great. Let me know if you need a hand. Always willing to help out depending where you are located.

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s at all possible, I’d leave the tank crated until you get it in front of the stand. The crate is designed to be moved around, the tank isn’t.

I'm about to move my new Cade S2 1800 tank (which I think is approx 210g also) from the garage into the house also and I've left left it in the crate for the moment.
My plan was to do just this and move the stand in via the dolly (This one) and then unpack it in front of where it's going as I think it should fit through the front door as is and then do the same with the tank, minimizing the amount of actual lifting that would need to be done. It's only just occurred to me though that the tank itself would have a lot of weight centered on that dolly and now I'm second guessing the idea and wondering if I should expect that I'll have to lift it from the garage right into the house and whether I need to purchase some suction cups like these to do it..

I got this type of dolly as I'll have to go up a bit of an embankment of grass to get it into the house (rather than going up 3-4 steps).

OP
OP
O

Orion9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Mullin22, Thanks for the offer. I'm in Eureka MO and hopeful to recruit a few neighbors for the move, but if you're close I'll have Pappy's BBQ catered and offer to return the favor in the future.

OP
OP
O

Orion9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
DarkReefer, I was considering the Cade 2100 but needed to keep the aquarium width under 28" and went with a RedSea Reefer 1000 g2+. Good luck with your build! I just received 6 suction cups and two furniture dolly's rated at 1320 lbs each from Amazon. Where are you located?

OP
OP
O

Orion9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The tank transfer from the garage will be scheduled early next year. I don't expect the aquarium to arrive until 12/15. I'll post an offer when I have the schedule.

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DarkReefer, I was considering the Cade 2100 but needed to keep the aquarium width under 28" and went with a RedSea Reefer 1000 g2+. Good luck with your build! I just received 6 suction cups and two furniture dolly's rated at 1320 lbs each from Amazon. Where are you located?
Ah nice, the Cade's are a beautiful system, as is the RedSea Reefer. When I was in the LFS months ago they had a fully set up one with all the gear but I liked the built in powerboard on the Cade among other things so ultimately went that way.

I know people use them all the time for tank moves etc but I can't help feel weirded out by the suction cups. That's a lot of faith to put into something like that haha.
I hope your move and your build goes well also (look forward to a build thread!) and sorry for slightly hijacking it regarding my move as well ! I'm in Australia !

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did the move go? Did you use the suction cups? How did they work if yes?

Shelley

OP
OP
O

Orion9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
We had suction cups just in case but I was concerned about damaging the silicone after reading a few warnings against using suction cups. We carried the tank into the house while it was on the pallet by hand, then lifted it onto a furniture dolly, once inside, for transport to the stand.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a 210 gallon aquarium over the holiday and trying to plan its move inside the house after delivery. I'm looking for suggestions and wondering if anyone has hired a LFS to assist with this kind of work in the past, or better to acquire suction cups and recruit friends and neighbors to help? The tank is 7' x 2' x2 and weighs close to 600lbs, I'm guessing I'll need 6 people? Any advice would be appreciated!
I would rent a flat dolly and use a piece of thick plywood the size of the tank. I forget the name of the force but you have to avoid any chance of flexing that could break a seal. unless your friends know how to work as a team forget it. When I meet someone new I always get them to help me with something like that just to check them out. I call my wife Rambo because its all about getting it DONE with her. Terrible type for that kind of thing. It only takes one rammy know it all to screw it up. YOU have to take charge. Finding professional help is what I would do. The cost would equal a case of beer and pizza, and any spousal grief

OP
OP
O

Orion9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Most moving companies would not take the job. The ones that did provide a quote were over $1k.

OP
OP
O

Orion9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks again for your help! I'm still waiting for one of my torches to split far enough to frag a head for you. Hopefully this month, will let you know.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who needs a moving company? We were able to get it done any no issues. I hope all is going well.
Glad it went well. I had to move mine 100 gallon while it was three quarters full of water. The basement flooded and it was carpet. Did it myself. Car jack, 4 2 foot square dollies with solid wheels

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back