OP
OP
A

AnnaMezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear this. Being from a small town I know how tough this can be for some ( yourself and the mover ). I hope you both come to a friendly agreement.
Likewise...I feel bad for them that it happened as it will likely impact their premiums however I was very clear on the job and sent specs on the tank as well. They knew what they were working with.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That last pic where you point to a line fracture.

That is a sure sign the tank is done.
That fracture will only get larger and larger until the glass splits apart.

The tank is done... although i don't think they will give you a new price for it.
They may offer you a partial with depreciation over time.
It would also be best if you have the old recipt and dates so you can negotiate more with them on the final settlement.

If it goes to insurance, you'll probably end up being stuck in claims for about 3 months to more, thats if the movers want to take it that far.

They may just settle outside insurance, if you give them an offer which both parties will not be happy at.

Remember a successful negotiation in insurance claims is not making one person happy, but both parties unhappy, because it will never get settled if one person is happy, unless they have componding fact on there side.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likewise...I feel bad for them that it happened as it will likely impact their premiums however I was very clear on the job and sent specs on the tank as well. They knew what they were working with.

Get their insurance and file a claim. This and their premiums are their cost of doing business. Don’t feel bad.

Make 1000000% sure to include damage to the floor in the claim. This is possibly a bigger dollar value than the tank. Depending on the composition of the floor it’s very possible it can’t be patch repaired to the condition it was in before and they’ll (their insurance) will owe you new hardwoods.

Also include any costs associated with the temporary tank.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's quite likely that some other hobbyist would have filled the tank without problems and not worried about tank damage, that would be a perfect recipe for a disaster sooner or later, good for you.

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We moved a tank once for a new client. Somehow, it got chipped on a bottom corner near a seam (but not on it), during the drive. Discovered it when we were unloading at the new location.

We simply got the client a new tank, and that’s what this company should do. We wouldn’t even bring it into his house, much less entertain the idea of putting water in it.

It cost a decent amount to replace, b/c it was an 8 ft tank, but I figured it was a lot cheaper than having it explode in his new home. 15 years of maintaining the tank later, I can safely say that I’ve recouped my cost for the tank.

Also cracking up at all the Red Sea tank comments. I’m surprised it survived the impact in one piece.

feelingfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the bright side if you do come to an agreement for a dollar amount then I would use this opportunity to seriously consider getting a custom euro braced tank.
I have combed the forums for concerns about my own tank ( CADE 2100 S2 ) and in the process of doing so I ran across what seemed like a ton of Red Sea seam failures.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Divine intervention. At least you don't have water damage as well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back