Tank dropped during move

AnnaMezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks!
I'm relatively new to the Reef keeping community (less than 3/4 years) and could use some sage advice. I hired a Reef keeping company to move my XXL 625 red sea reefer and it was dropped on the hardwood floor. I'm terribly worried about the integrity of the tank and do not want to fill it again. I appreciate any advice and thought you may have as more experienced reefers. (Tank pic before breakdown shared for the love of our hobby!)
IMG_2423.jpeg
IMG_1939.jpeg

dandi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
What did the movers tell you when this occurred?
Unless you signed some sort of waiver you are entitled to compensation.
In the meantime how are you housing your tank inhabitants?

OP
OP
A

AnnaMezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
What did the movers tell you when this occurred?
Unless you signed some sort of waiver you are entitled to compensation.
In the meantime how are you housing your tank inhabitants?
Thanks so much. There was quite a bit of discussion about how the tank is durable and should be fine.
I did not sign any sort of waiver, and my inhabitants are in a rental tank for the time being.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have had them carry that busted tank back out of my house and go get me a new one, same day.

Sadly, nothing ever gets fixed as fast as they get broken. Hope the movers get you squared away properly.

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks so much. There was quite a bit of discussion about how the tank is durable and should be fine.
I did not sign any sort of waiver, and my inhabitants are in a rental tank for the time being.

Durable and RedSea don't go together. I wouldn't trust a brand new RedSea tank and I for sure wouldn't trust a dropped one with visible signs of damage.

Make them replace it with a NEW tank.

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was quite a bit of discussion about how the tank is durable and should be fine.
Was it them saying this? Hope you did not agree. If it's durable, then they can make it a new display at the shop. I'd definitely be discussing compensation as I would not want that in my house. They had an accident, it happens, and they need to make it right.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey folks!
I'm relatively new to the Reef keeping community (less than 3/4 years) and could use some sage advice. I hired a Reef keeping company to move my XXL 625 red sea reefer and it was dropped on the hardwood floor. I'm terribly worried about the integrity of the tank and do not want to fill it again. I appreciate any advice and thought you may have as more experienced reefers. (Tank pic before breakdown shared for the love of our hobby!)
IMG_2423.jpeg
IMG_1939.jpeg
Not to be trusted. the water weight and pressure will weaken this more

Reefing Qs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HAHAHA - absolutely not. They're trying to take you for a ride. You said it was a reef keeping company, is your LFS trying to fleece you!? Or some larger chain that does tank moves?

OP
OP
A

AnnaMezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do it was the first question I asked before offering the job...
Was it them saying this? Hope you did not agree. If it's durable, then they can make it a new display at the shop. I'd definitely be discussing compensation as I would not want that in my house. They had an accident, it happens, and they need to make it right.
Yes it was them...I do not at all agree with their now "cosmetic damage" claim

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back