Planning a New Tank (29G)

BitReef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 3, 2020
Messages
216
Reaction score
190
Location
Edmond
What state or country do you live in
Oklahoma
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I’m new to reef2reef (but not new to saltwater tanks). I’ve had a 20G long tank for years. Pretty simple setup. No sump, no skimmer, just a HOB filter, live rock a custom ATO and water changes. I have a couple of fish, some zoa and mushrooms ( and quite a bit of bubble algae at one time).

I am planning to upgrade to a 29 gallon (same footprint, but 6” taller). Physical space is my biggest limitation. I want to build a custom 10 gallon sump, with a nano skimmer and a refugium with chaeto. I’d like to upgrade to a Tunze ATO and upgrade my lights. My goal is to finally have some lps and maybe a few sps.

Right now my cabinet has a large Rubbermaid tub as my ATO reservoir. Not very space efficient. So I’m going to replace it with an acrylic reservoir to make room for the sump.

I’ve been reading a lot about sumps and plumbing, but still have lots of questions.

I’ll post updates of my progress as I go.
 
Welcome to R2R!!
giphy.gif
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif
 
Hi all. I’m new to reef2reef (but not new to saltwater tanks). I’ve had a 20G long tank for years. Pretty simple setup. No sump, no skimmer, just a HOB filter, live rock a custom ATO and water changes. I have a couple of fish, some zoa and mushrooms ( and quite a bit of bubble algae at one time).

I am planning to upgrade to a 29 gallon (same footprint, but 6” taller). Physical space is my biggest limitation. I want to build a custom 10 gallon sump, with a nano skimmer and a refugium with chaeto. I’d like to upgrade to a Tunze ATO and upgrade my lights. My goal is to finally have some lps and maybe a few sps.

Right now my cabinet has a large Rubbermaid tub as my ATO reservoir. Not very space efficient. So I’m going to replace it with an acrylic reservoir to make room for the sump.

I’ve been reading a lot about sumps and plumbing, but still have lots of questions.

I’ll post updates of my progress as I go.

Welcome to R2R! If space is an issue you could try an AIO (all in one) setup. Fuji Cube has a kit for a 29gal. All-in-One Kit 3rd Gen - 29 Gallon Standard Hope this helps.
 
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun....
nice!!! ..build thread time;):cool:
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 21 29.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 12.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new