Planning a New Tank (29G)

BitReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I’m new to reef2reef (but not new to saltwater tanks). I’ve had a 20G long tank for years. Pretty simple setup. No sump, no skimmer, just a HOB filter, live rock a custom ATO and water changes. I have a couple of fish, some zoa and mushrooms ( and quite a bit of bubble algae at one time).

I am planning to upgrade to a 29 gallon (same footprint, but 6” taller). Physical space is my biggest limitation. I want to build a custom 10 gallon sump, with a nano skimmer and a refugium with chaeto. I’d like to upgrade to a Tunze ATO and upgrade my lights. My goal is to finally have some lps and maybe a few sps.

Right now my cabinet has a large Rubbermaid tub as my ATO reservoir. Not very space efficient. So I’m going to replace it with an acrylic reservoir to make room for the sump.

I’ve been reading a lot about sumps and plumbing, but still have lots of questions.

I’ll post updates of my progress as I go.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!
giphy.gif

Grill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I’m new to reef2reef (but not new to saltwater tanks). I’ve had a 20G long tank for years. Pretty simple setup. No sump, no skimmer, just a HOB filter, live rock a custom ATO and water changes. I have a couple of fish, some zoa and mushrooms ( and quite a bit of bubble algae at one time).

I am planning to upgrade to a 29 gallon (same footprint, but 6” taller). Physical space is my biggest limitation. I want to build a custom 10 gallon sump, with a nano skimmer and a refugium with chaeto. I’d like to upgrade to a Tunze ATO and upgrade my lights. My goal is to finally have some lps and maybe a few sps.

Right now my cabinet has a large Rubbermaid tub as my ATO reservoir. Not very space efficient. So I’m going to replace it with an acrylic reservoir to make room for the sump.

I’ve been reading a lot about sumps and plumbing, but still have lots of questions.

I’ll post updates of my progress as I go.

Welcome to R2R! If space is an issue you could try an AIO (all in one) setup. Fuji Cube has a kit for a 29gal. All-in-One Kit 3rd Gen - 29 Gallon Standard Hope this helps.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun....
nice!!! ..build thread time;):cool:

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.3%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 17.7%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 100 49.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back