Planning for a nano tank Questions: Skimmer placement, etc.

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm planning on setting up a new small tank, about 40~55 lt (10~15 g). No corals and just some shrimps to start and go from there (sexys! or maybe peppermint).
I've been doing some research but still got a number of questions and any input from the community would be a great help.
Any suggestions not related to the questions below will also be much appreciated.
Cheers

The plan right now is...
- Nano 40~55 lt (10~15 g)
- No coral, COWLR (crustacean only with live rock), for the time being
- it will be a bare bottom tank
- have the equipment in the tank, no sump (may consider HOB options)
- have a hang in the tank nano protein skimmer. (Haven't decided on which one yet so may come back to the forum to ask about the options again)
- have a DIY upflow algae turf scrubber in the tank
- have dry rocks

The questions are....
Q1. Is there any difference in placing a protein skimmer in the filter compartment vs out in the open?
Not sure if the filter compartment is what they are called but I meant the boxes with overflow at the back or side of the tank like a mini sump, not the hang on the back type but inside the tank type. I see many people have their skimmers in these boxes and wasn't sure if this is just to put all the equipment in one place out of sight or if there are any other reasons for doing this like one way being functionally better or easier to maintain etc.

Q2. This ties into the first question. Should I get the side/back in-tank filter box mentioned above? If not for the skimmer, for other reasons?
If I decide to use it, I may(or may not) DIY it to fit the stuff needed.

Q3. Upflow ATS uses aeration with an air pump but I'm worried about the salt creep caused by the bubbles popping. I searched online but all I could find was it being used in the sump with a cover or freshwater and could not find any detailed info on it being used in the display tank. Should I be worried? Is there a way/design to stop the bubbles escaping. causing salt creep?

Q4. Is running 220-240v 50hz skimmer on 220-240v 60hz power plug a good idea? How important of a variable is the Hz difference? Would it be for the best to stick to the 60hz skimmer on 60hz?
Nano skimmers are quite expensive where I live and there aren't that many to choose from so I was thinking about buying from abroad. The power plug here is 220-240v 60hz but most of the nano skimmers I can find from international sellers are for 220-240v 50hz. I know that 50hz skimmers will still run on 60hz but according to the internet, motors will perform differently and may not be ideal depending on the device. So far, although I didn't look too hard, I could find one 60hz nano skimmer, Red devil nano 150. Should 50hz skimmers also be included in the candidate line up or just be ditched from the list? Also, any experience/input on Red Devil nano 150 will be much appreciated.

Q5. Do I need to use a dimmer switch specifically made for LEDs for AC dimmable LED drivers(link below)? OR Can I use any AC dimmer switch for my application?
The link above is for an AC dimmable LED driver I used to build a DIY waterfall ATS before. I've connected it to a dimmer switch made for LED room light that can handle up to 500w. The dimming range is limited but they work fine. The dimmer switch is wired before (not after, so it's plug->dimmer switch->driver->led light) the driver hence it is controlled from the AC end and it's not the DC voltage control kind of dimmer.
I plan on making the new LED unit for upflow ATS also dimmable using the same driver. While I could be using the same LED dimmer switch again it is just too dang big (wall mount size switch) and prefer to use something smaller. For my application, do I need a dimmer switch specifically made for LED or can I use any regular AC dimmer switch?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
bumping this up for some of our #DIYwizards for the lighting questions. On the skimmer, I honestly probably wouldn't use a skimmer on a tank that small. I'd rely more on filter media.

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bumping this up for some of our #DIYwizards for the lighting questions. On the skimmer, I honestly probably wouldn't use a skimmer on a tank that small. I'd rely more on filter media.

Thanks for the response Daniel, initially I thought about not using a skimmer and just keep up with the water changes but I wanted to familiarize myself with the skimmer for the future upgrades.

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've read/heard, it seems that running 220-240v 50hz skimmer on 220-240v 60hz is not a good idea, a variable important enough to be a deal breaker.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back