Planning Mixed Reef Tank Flow

Always Be Reefin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on my first tank now, but I'm planning on my dream tank that I will start when I have my own house (within the next two years hopefully). For context, the tank will likely be 150 gallons. I'm the type that likes to plan far ahead and research to give myself the best chance at success. I've planned out the livestock I really want, as well as corals. I'll know be doing a mixed tank but I have one problem, learning how to manage flow.

I've seen videoes that helped me understand light placement in mixed tanks, but nothing that go into flow. What would I need to know/do to successfully keep coral that want low/moderate flow, with something like acropora that desire high flow?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm working on my first tank now, but I'm planning on my dream tank that I will start when I have my own house (within the next two years hopefully). For context, the tank will likely be 150 gallons. I'm the type that likes to plan far ahead and research to give myself the best chance at success. I've planned out the livestock I really want, as well as corals. I'll know be doing a mixed tank but I have one problem, learning how to manage flow.

I've seen videoes that helped me understand light placement in mixed tanks, but nothing that go into flow. What would I need to know/do to successfully keep coral that want low/moderate flow, with something like acropora that desire high flow?
Having only run mixed reefs, you need to balance SPS with LPS and soft coral and focus on different lighting zones, flow and nutrient levels. Often you will have both types of corals releasing their own low level toxins and for that I run Chemipure Blue but Carbon will also suffice.
A skimmer proves valuable as does good quality test kits

OP
OP
A

Always Be Reefin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having only run mixed reefs, you need to balance SPS with LPS and soft coral and focus on different lighting zones, flow and nutrient levels. Often you will have both types of corals releasing their own low level toxins and for that I run Chemipure Blue but Carbon will also suffice.
A skimmer proves valuable as does good quality test kits
What is a glow zone though? Is there a way to have one area of my tank high flow and the other low? How would I even go about doing that

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What is a glow zone though? Is there a way to have one area of my tank high flow and the other low? How would I even go about doing that
I dont see where I used word glow but lighting zone is areas of PAR based on coral types. You will also want to chart and monitor what levels of ca-mag-alk are being consumed to determine dosing needs

OP
OP
A

Always Be Reefin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see where I used word glow but lighting zone is areas of PAR based on coral types. You will also want to chart and monitor what levels of ca-mag-alk are being consumed to determine dosing needs
Sorry, that "glow" was a typo. But the par part I understood. The only real roadblock I have is flow. Because I know some softies and LPS on my list like low to moderate flow. While sps like acropora need high flow. What do I need to do to make sure they all get the flow they wouldd need

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back