Plans for fish trap?

linkedsilas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have plans on building your own? Measurements, instructions....etc? I have access to a laser cutter or I can just cut it out myself and some plexi/acrylic.
Ive tried making one with a jar and a sliding door, but my fish arent falling for it.
Ive tried the soda bottle trick...my clown went in it once, was able to break out and that was it for that one...
So, instead of spending a lot, Im going to try to cut my own.
Thought I would throw out some feelers
Thanks

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone have plans on building your own? Measurements, instructions....etc? I have access to a laser cutter or I can just cut it out myself and some plexi/acrylic.
Ive tried making one with a jar and a sliding door, but my fish arent falling for it.
Ive tried the soda bottle trick...my clown went in it once, was able to break out and that was it for that one...
So, instead of spending a lot, Im going to try to cut my own.
Thought I would throw out some feelers
Thanks
Well - if you take in the cost of your time, etc - my guess is you can rent - borrow - or buy a fish trap from an LFS much less expensively. This is fairly common here. But - this works. https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/s...MIlZmfoOuY8wIVGGpvBB3wtQlXEAQYBCABEgKXZvD_BwE

OP
OP
linkedsilas

linkedsilas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
By the way - to get the fish into the trap can be tricky. One way to do it is to surround the trap with rock or something - so that its like a cave - rather than a clear area. Leave the door open and feed the fish for 3-4 days until they are used to it . Then - once they are comfortable - it is easy to catch

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way - to get the fish into the trap can be tricky. One way to do it is to surround the trap with rock or something - so that its like a cave - rather than a clear area. Leave the door open and feed the fish for 3-4 days until they are used to it . Then - once they are comfortable - it is easy to catch
Exactly, my acclimation box pulls double duty as a fish trap. Works gud.

OP
OP
linkedsilas

linkedsilas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had no problem with the one going in the bottle, its just he got out and decided to never try it again. This was a clown so I think I am going to try to raise the trap.
Going to leave it open a few days and make it a feeding station.
"operant conditioning" :)
I have trained many animals before including alligators , bears etc but never fish. So this will be a first

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend who had an aggressive fish, he used the mirror trick on the outside of the tank, to give it a different target. After a few days it went back to attacking the other fish, along with the mirror. I cut him a small mirror out of an Acrylic Mirror, he caught the fish in under fifteen minutes.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back