OP
Family Tanks

Family Tanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thus far (running an elaborate DIY solution resulting in about 20ppm), it has had no effect on the PH. Now, if I could get my nitrites to finally drop, that's a different story!

OP
OP
Family Tanks

Family Tanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, the freshwater is stabilized at 25ppm and it seems to have no effect on the reef whatsoever. Both are looking good!
0B66BF31-67B2-4B2F-8F26-9A39741C6ECD.jpeg

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surface movement is actually recommended in high tech planted tanks. It lets you run the CO2 at much higher levels safely, w/o gassing your fish. If I had to guess I would say the effect into the room is significant as i run 4 nano high tech tanks next to my reef and I hover around a ph of 8.

pH in my reef runs 8.05 next to an open slider and I dont run CO2. Please explain.

The amount of C02 in a roomful of normal air is much more than a planted tank.

OP
OP
Family Tanks

Family Tanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH in my reef runs 8.05 next to an open slider and I dont run CO2. Please explain.

The amount of C02 in a roomful of normal air is much more than a planted tank.
Well, that can’t be. Given time, there will always be an equilibrium between the CO2 dissolved into a body of water and the air surrounding it (unless influenced by something else). So any water should contain the same partial pressure of CO2 as the air surrounding it, otherwise we wouldn’t need to inject CO2 into our aquascapes, to artificially increase it. As we do that, we are also artificially increasing CO2 in the air surrounding our tank, at least to a small degree. Again, equilibrium works both ways. What’s a surprise is how 40 gallons of water artificially saturated with CO2 isn’t having an effect on the PH of an adjacent body of saltwater when so many talk about the effects of naturally occurring (lower) CO2 in their tank rooms. There is no doubt that the air immediately surrounding the freshwater tank has elevated levels of CO2, far beyond what would normally occur in a house. My best guess is that because CO2 is more dense that the oxygen and nitrogen in air, the amounts which are off gassing through the water surface its setting down near the floor and not moving laterally to the saltwater surface, limiting contact. Perhaps the fact that my saltwater surface area is elevated is the key. Just a guess though.

OP
OP
Family Tanks

Family Tanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, got the wheels turning. So, no doubt injecting CO2 increases the ambient CO2 to some degree. It’s a scientific certainty. I’d even venture to say that pumping 4-6 bps 12 hours a day is more than a cat or small dog would produce. That said, also through the forces of equilibrium, that CO2 will diffuse into the greater body of air in the room. Because none of our rooms are 100% sealed and without air currents (people moving, breathing, ac/heat, and even temperature gradients), the CO2 expelled from the freshwater tank, is probably mixing fairly well with the room air. The net result is a very small increase in CO2 concentrations. Again, probably on par with a cat. Even at night, with still air and no photosynthesis. One factor which may be in favor now, but may not be enough in the future, is that my reef has very little in it producing other acidifying compounds, making the net effect of injected CO2 on PH lower than the sum of the forces that work against the buffering capacity of a mature and fully stocked reef. In my case, I have CO2, but very little decaying organics, fish respiration, etc. a mature reef’s buffering capacity is working against decaying organics, more respiration, etc, perhaps allowing the ambient CO2 to have an exaggerated effect on PH. Hmmmmmmm......

OP
OP
Family Tanks

Family Tanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I would close the loop on this. It's been about 3 months, both tanks are up and running and with 27ppm running on the planted scape for 8 hours a day, I have found ZERO effect on the PH of the reef. PH stable at 8.2 and KH at 8, doesn't waiver at all. That said, I'm sure people's mileage will vary. This has got me thinking about upgrading to pressurized and perhaps splitting off some of the CO2 for a CA reactor. TOYS!

Attachments

• IMG_4044.JPG
    IMG_4044.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 12

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, long time reader, first time poster.

I wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with running a high-energy planted aquarium with pressurized CO2, in near proximity to a reef tank. I'm currently building out a side-by-side double aquascape, which will feature a planted aquarium and a mixed reef on a single stand. I'm to the stage where I will begin my freshwater aquascape, and I'm deciding if going low-tech (no injected CO2) is safer for the reef in terms of carbonic acid accumulation. While I don't intend to run a demanding SPS dominate reef, I would like to minimize PH swing issues if otherwise avoidable.
IMG_3335.JPG

Anyone have any insights by chance?

Scott
Yes. Yes I do. I have a newer very energy efficient house. It’s too hot here to open windows so we run AC all day and keep the house buttoned up. I do have CO2 problems in my main display. This tank is anemones and a few LPS. I don’t test for anything, monitor anything, or do water changes. It seems just fine.

the freshwater tank needs a little love but stuff is doing well in there and CO2 levels are optimal.

Attachments

• 6827ECE4-AAB5-40C6-BEC7-EF6F6ADE32AF.jpeg
    6827ECE4-AAB5-40C6-BEC7-EF6F6ADE32AF.jpeg
    236.2 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
Family Tanks

Family Tanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Yes I do. I have a newer very energy efficient house. It’s too hot here to open windows so we run AC all day and keep the house buttoned up. I do have CO2 problems in my main display. This tank is anemones and a few LPS. I don’t test for anything, monitor anything, or do water changes. It seems just fine.

the freshwater tank needs a little love but stuff is doing well in there and CO2 levels are optimal.
You do, or don't have a CO2 issue in the reef? You mentioned not testing much and it doing well (good news), but you also said you "do" have CO2 issues. Just looking for clarification.

Back