Plastic Bio Balls? Or Ceramic Media?

downonthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I've noticed Waterbox supply their aquariums with Plastic Bio Balls, how do they fair against ceramic media, I can't imagine there's much surface area to them.

Do any waterbox owners use those BioBalls or do you use ceramic instead? Or even both? The more the merrier am I right?

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your rock and sand will be the primary biological filter for the tank. Anything else is supplemental and not very important. I tossed my stock bioballs in the trash. Some hobbyists use very little rock in their display and in that case it would be good to use a bio filter media. The sintered glass and ceramic media are definitely better for that.

OP
OP
downonthereef

downonthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your rock and sand will be the primary biological filter for the tank. Anything else is supplemental and not very important. I tossed my stock bioballs in the trash. Some hobbyists use very little rock in their display and in that case it would be good to use a bio filter media. The sintered glass and ceramic media are definitely better for that.
Thanks! I like to have something in the sump, so i'll get some ceramic of some sort

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Seachem Matrix and Pond Matrix in filter bags in my sumps since day one and love it. Way over filtered but that's better than being under filtered..... Plus, when I need a QT I pull a bag and use it in a hang on power filter for instant cycle and quarantine goes smooth. I then bleach it when done, soak in Seachem safe and put back in the sump for the next time I need it. I quarantine for a minimum of 2 months before anything goes my DT.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ceramic is better than plastic, but agree it's best to put rock in the sump if you can.

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a chance I could fit extra rock in my sump.

I use eshopps bio-lux ceramic in my Waterbox cube sump. So far it's been great, no problems and I feel like it provides a huge amount of extra surface area for beneficial bacteria.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
use those BioBalls or do you use ceramic instead? Or even both? The more the merrier am I right?
Nope, you dont want or need either, they are just nitrate producers and a place for debris to get trapped. I use a filter sock and pressure wash it every two weeks. NOW with a fish only tank sure, but no one uses them in reef set ups. The produce more nitrates, then without/

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I respectively disagree. These have been used successfully for years helping those that prefer minimum rockscape in their DT. I use spheres and blocks and they work almost too well and I have dose nitrates to keep detectable levels for SPS. Yes seems counterproductive but the working theory is heavy in and aggressive export then using supplements to balance as needed. Do not prefer the plastics.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a chance I could fit extra rock in my sump.

I use eshopps bio-lux ceramic in my Waterbox cube sump. So far it's been great, no problems and I feel like it provides a huge amount of extra surface area for beneficial bacteria.
Got a hammer? You can make rock just as small as ceramic media.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a hammer? You can make rock just as small as ceramic media.
Lol.

I had a pile of rock in the sump and problem is that it restricted flow through the sump, but that’s because of my sump design. Rocks work for for decades, but the new media is suppose to have multiple times the surface area giving you the equivalent of large amount of rock in a smaller physical space thus better overall better turnover through sump. I still keep smaller rock piles in case I need rocks as frag plugs. I just keep everything elevated so it doesn’t sit on the sump bottom to reduce detritus build up and again flow.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back