Plastic container previously used for detergent, reef safe?

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have nice plastic container that was previously used for some kind of detergent. The container does not seem to have any residue (soapy, oily, stains, etc.) but has a "fragrance" smell that I have not been able to get rid off, even after many many rinses with baking soda, vinegar, plain water, RO water, hot water, etc... I wonder if it is just the fragrance that remains trapped in the plastic, if it would be safe to use this container for storing RO and newly mixed saltwater.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fragrances will soak into plastic as they are not generally charged molecules to allow them into the gas phase. They also generally are not especially toxic and I wouldn't worry much about them at the levels likely to be present.

Detergents generally won't penetrate plastic and a thorough rinse with warm water will remove them.

Thus, I'd use it after thorough rinsing.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fragrances will soak into plastic as they are not generally charged molecules to allow them into the gas phase. They also generally are not especially toxic and I wouldn't worry much about them at the levels likely to be present.

Detergents generally won't penetrate plastic and a thorough rinse with warm water will remove them.

We get many threads asking if things are reef safe.

Perhaps you could make one on things that are especially NOT reef safe that are in the consumer market. I assume most plastics are generally safe for brief contact with tank water. Brushes and containers for food or general use like scrub buckets and things like that I generally use without concern.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy said it’s likely safe and he is the expert, but why take that chance over a plastic container. I reuse containers but only if they had food products in them to start with. I assume (possibly incorrectly) that anything that was a food safe container is probably reef safe.

OP
OP
Rimsky

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you Randy.

The container has the ideal size/shape that I need, that is the reason I would like to use it. It has been rinsed sooo many times with RO, baking soda, vinegar, etc... that it does not have any residues whatsoever, just the persistent smell. I will go ahead and use it.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 90 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 70 34.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 30 14.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back