Plastic "egg crate" under sand- Good idea? Bad idea?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kilman805
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I'm just setting up my tank. The first shipment of live sand and live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater is arriving Monday.

I'm considering lining the bottom of the tank with plastic egg crate to help protect against any falling rocks. But does it interfere with fish and inverts that like to burrow and filter into the sand? I have 25 lb of sand coming and it's a Fluval Flex 32.5 gallon tank, which I think will be enough for a ~1.25" thick sand bed. The egg crate I have is pretty thin, so I might have about an inch of sand above the top of it if I use it.

Good idea or bad idea?
The bottom glass of my 65 gl tank has thin sillicone zigzag striping to protect from rock scratching the glass.
 
I have a layer of egg crate on the bottom of my tank. Didn't even give it a second thought. Felt it would provide a great base and support for my rock structure.

My diamond goby sifts sand as he see fit and he's doing great. Some spots get barren due to him. No matter.
 
I am familiar with the effects of rocks hitting glass, yes.
Do you know of an example of an aragonite rock falling through water onto sand, penetrating the sand, and breaking the bottom of an aquarium? Or is this a case of being extra careful?
 
Why does it have to be egg crate? I've heard of putting star board on the bottom of a tank vs going sandless. What about star board with sand on top?
 
Good insurance. I have used it in my tanks that have a lot of rock. Never an issue.
 
Why does it have to be egg crate? I've heard of putting star board on the bottom of a tank vs going sandless. What about star board with sand on top?
star


What is starboard?????
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new