Plastic rock structures and plants

jmira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! We’ve had an established tank with a pair of clownfish and blue-legged hermits for 2 years. We’re wondering how plastic rock, plants, and anemones should be cleaned PROPERLY and how often. We usually take them out once a month or 2 and clean them with hot water and a bit of low-splash bleach, then do a separate soak after of hot water and Prime. We make sure to rid of the bleach smell and let them air dry to make sure the bleach smell is gone. If we feel that we need another hot water soak/cleaning after the bleach, we do that. If this is all wrong and you have tips for cleaning these plastic pieces, please help! I’ve always been worried but have always found that our aquarium life doesn’t have any issues and likes the pieces after cleaning/ rearranging the tank. We also do this process for new decor. We haven’t felt ready to go for live rock, coral, or anemones for our tank. Thanks guys!!!

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most plastic decorations are not reef safe and break down over time in saltwater, leaching harmful chemicals. Try to reach out to local reefers and see if anyone has some live rock they can spare. It’s also very important for marine aquariums for filtration.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People make statements that are Not supported by true science or experience. I have used both plastic and silicone corals for over 30 years in tanks that are still going strong and was NEVER an issue.
Yea I'm just thinking of all the plastic in the ocean right now that everyone is saying will take hundreds of years to degrade, if at all.

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I'm just thinking of all the plastic in the ocean right now that everyone is saying will take hundreds of years to degrade, if at all.
Plastics do leach chemicals over time. That’s partly why they are such a problem and cause issues, particularly reproductive issues. This is the same reason why food grade plastics are recommended for mixing bins and tubs or saltwater aquariums.

It depends on the plastic involved. Some are reef safe and others are not. The problem is that unless you are printing or crafting your own decorations it can be tough to determine exactly what kind of plastic the decorations are made of. It becomes a roll of the dice.

I have 3D printed objects in my own aquarium and even plan on adding a decorative skull, but I can control the type of plastic used there.

Simplest explanation I could find, although not specific to saltwater - https://www.scienceabc.com/pure-sciences/what-is-plastic-leaching-and-why-is-it-bad.html

A scientific study on plastics leaching chemicals in saltwater: https://microbiomejournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40168-022-01369-x

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from tin stabilizers used in some plastics, I'm not aware of any evidence of released chemicals from plastics
causing issues in reef aquaria.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the evidence that plastic decorations are a problem? We use plastics in lots of other applications in reef tanks..

I've only seen two issues with "plastic" plants - some for freshwater or decorative uses, have bendable metal cores. Then, some "silk" plants for decorative use have been coated in flame retardants. I presume those could be toxic.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! We’ve had an established tank with a pair of clownfish and blue-legged hermits for 2 years. We’re wondering how plastic rock, plants, and anemones should be cleaned PROPERLY and how often. We usually take them out once a month or 2 and clean them with hot water and a bit of low-splash bleach, then do a separate soak after of hot water and Prime. We make sure to rid of the bleach smell and let them air dry to make sure the bleach smell is gone. If we feel that we need another hot water soak/cleaning after the bleach, we do that. If this is all wrong and you have tips for cleaning these plastic pieces, please help! I’ve always been worried but have always found that our aquarium life doesn’t have any issues and likes the pieces after cleaning/ rearranging the tank. We also do this process for new decor. We haven’t felt ready to go for live rock, coral, or anemones for our tank. Thanks guys!!!

Don't use "splash proof bleach", that just adds some chemical unknowns into the equation. Plain bleach is difficult to find now days though - just 5.25% sodium hypochlorite and water is what you want. Gordon Foods used to sell that.

Personally, I'd skip the bleach. Using a "nose test" doesn't always work, as your nose quickly becomes overwhelmed by the bleach smell and you then may not be able to easily smell any residual. Using a DPD chlorine test for any residual is more accurate. Can you just skip the bleach and use hot water and then air dry the material?

Jay

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had three of the plastic Aqua Rocks in my aquarium for at least 6 months and I do monthly ICP tests. I haven't had any problems with them.

Screenshot 2023-09-13 103206.jpg

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic is a type of plastic, and as we all know - aquariums produced entirely of acrylic are common. Plumbing, skimmers, pumps and powerheads are all made from PVC and/or ABS plastics. Plastic in an aquarium simply isn't a bad thing in my humble opinion.

That said, I have a "rock" structure that is plastic and have no intention of ever removing it for cleaning. I like it less now than I did when it was put in the tank and kinda hope it gets covered with growth of some sort.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only seen two issues with "plastic" plants - some for freshwater or decorative uses, have bendable metal cores. Then, some "silk" plants for decorative use have been coated in flame retardants. I presume those could be toxic.

Jay

I agree I'd avoid those. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back