Plastic waste and coral shipping

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning,

Just sitting on my porch enjoying a morning coffee and perusing the news. Not that it’s a new subject, but reading about plastic waste and single use plastics polluting the oceans got me thinking. Our hobby industry has dramatically changed over the years to a predominately aquaculture based supply system, man made or mined rocks and slowly more and more captive bred fish. This is great as corals tend to be a bit more accustomed to aquarium growth, hard to feed fish are a bit more adapted to aquarium life and we are not destroying possible habitats for rock.

Im not trying to get on a soap box and dang any vendors , but the main way of shipping has been in single use plastic bags and boxes filled with plastic foams. Not to say that this is a leading cause to the issues that we are seeing world wide, but for something that we all wish to protect, is this something we could change? And we as customers, be willing to go through possible extra steps or costs to help with these changes?

As an example, my wife has a soda stream unit that uses CO2 containers. As you are coming to the end of a tank, if you order from the website you receive a discount on your new tank as long as you return the old empty tank within so many days of the delivery. If you fail you are charged full price, so the incentive is there to get those tanks out. Also the empty tanks are refilled and recycled.

So how do we implement this to our hobby? This is just a thought and one of many possible solutions, I would love to hear every ones input. What if we used a solid container type ( glass or plastic) that was recycled with each vendor? And maybe use something like a neoprene wrap( think of a beer koozy ) on each container for insulation. What if each container also had markings for acclimation water levels and you are not having to transfer your purchase to buckets?Get your shipment in, acclimated the fish and coral, ship back the empty containers. If you do not return the containers, you as the purchaser are charged for it.
If you keep the containers, they could be used for when you go to your LFS, maybe getting a discount if we could get everyone on board, or frag swaps to hold your new purchases. Depending on the size, maybe a frozen food holder, or a dosing container if it’s on the larger size.

I understand that vendors would possibly need extra space for storage, also equipment for sterilization of pre-used containers and employees to facilitate the process. And we as the customers would acquire slightly larger costs for shipping and the hassle of return shipping. But wouldn’t it be worth it?

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! All containers should be reusable!
More than happy to pay additional expense.

When you patent this idea, next I would like my milk & OJ containers to also be reusable. Tired of throwing them out each week To be recycled.

Last edited:

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning,

Just sitting on my porch enjoying a morning coffee and perusing the news. Not that it’s a new subject, but reading about plastic waste and single use plastics polluting the oceans got me thinking. Our hobby industry has dramatically changed over the years to a predominately aquaculture based supply system, man made or mined rocks and slowly more and more captive bred fish. This is great as corals tend to be a bit more accustomed to aquarium growth, hard to feed fish are a bit more adapted to aquarium life and we are not destroying possible habitats for rock.

Im not trying to get on a soap box and dang any vendors , but the main way of shipping has been in single use plastic bags and boxes filled with plastic foams. Not to say that this is a leading cause to the issues that we are seeing world wide, but for something that we all wish to protect, is this something we could change? And we as customers, be willing to go through possible extra steps or costs to help with these changes?

As an example, my wife has a soda stream unit that uses CO2 containers. As you are coming to the end of a tank, if you order from the website you receive a discount on your new tank as long as you return the old empty tank within so many days of the delivery. If you fail you are charged full price, so the incentive is there to get those tanks out. Also the empty tanks are refilled and recycled.

So how do we implement this to our hobby? This is just a thought and one of many possible solutions, I would love to hear every ones input. What if we used a solid container type ( glass or plastic) that was recycled with each vendor? And maybe use something like a neoprene wrap( think of a beer kookier) on each container for insulation. What if each container also had markings for acclimation water levels and you are not having to transfer your purchase to buckets?Get your shipment in, acclimated the fish and coral, ship back the empty containers. If you do not return the containers, you as the purchaser are charged for it.
If you keep the containers, they could be used for when you go to your LFS, maybe getting a discount if we could get everyone on board, or frag swaps to hold your new purchases. Depending on the size, maybe a frozen food holder, or a dosing container if it’s on the larger size.

I understand that vendors would possibly need extra space for storage, also equipment for sterilization of pre-used containers and employees to facilitate the process. And we as the customers would acquire slightly larger costs for shipping and the hassle of return shipping. But wouldn’t it be worth it?

Your thoughts?
This is a fair discussion. It would be great if suppliers would provide return labels to ship the styrofoam boxes back. I’m guessing that they’ve run the numbers and it would cost too much or add too much to the price to customers. I’d even be okay if it was for example a $5 shipping fee which was then returned as a $5 credit if I returned the box. I’m guessing others would complain.

The other alternative is to buy local! Easier in some places than others.

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! All containers should be reusable!
More than happy to pay additional expense.

When you patent this idea, next I would like my milk & OJ containers to also be reusable. Tired of throwing them out each
This is a fair discussion. It would be great if suppliers would provide return labels to ship the styrofoam boxes back. I’m guessing that they’ve run the numbers and it would cost too much or add too much to the price to customers. I’d even be okay if it was for example a $5 shipping fee which was then returned as a $5 credit if I returned the box. I’m guessing others would complain.

Another way to look at it is just like many of us that hold onto the foam box for shopping days at your LFS or frag swaps, you could have your own containers to bring to the stores.

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Return labels aren’t expensive in comparison to the tanks you buy. Obviously it varies based on location and size but it’s almost negligible to the cost of the tank. So I think that this would be a good idea to be able to have a return label to ship the boxes back. It’s a win win for everyone and no one is really losing anything in the long run because the suppliers make money off of recycling, you get these huge boxes you will never use out of your house, and it obviously helps the waste problem.

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return labels aren’t expensive in comparison to the tanks you buy. Obviously it varies based on location and size but it’s almost negligible to the cost of the tank. So I think that this would be a good idea to be able to have a return label to ship the boxes back. It’s a win win for everyone and no one is really losing anything in the long run because the suppliers make money off of recycling, you get these huge boxes you will never use out of your house, and it obviously helps the waste problem.
I think there must be was to help make it cost effective both for the vendor and us the customers.

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think the cost should fall solely on the vendor but something we split as a responsible consumer as well

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the idea.

Glad you stated the ability to sterilize coming back. I could see issues with say someone shipping a damaged styro back and not getting a refund from the company. I would think the cardboard box part would most likely not be able to be disinfected. I could see some issues with styro as well since there are little crevices for "bugs" to reside in. Just thinking about effective biosecurity, but having it sit on a shelf to dry for days should kill most pathogens.

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most vendors and shippers eat shipping costs. You think it cost $35-$55 to 1 day ship a big styro box to ur front door? Lol. Or even a small 12"x12".
Heres another thought. What if you just stopped shopping online and bought locally?
D
D
I think supporting your LFS is very important. Even if local is an hour away. But I don’t believe that in many areas there is enough of a demand for a larger coral/fish vendor to sustain a profitable business.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed!

All shipments should be in brown paper bags...

Confused Trailer Park Boys GIF

The U.S. Reefing Industry makes up less than 2% of the U.S. Population. There are far more serious environmental problems to go worry about.

Like ppl ordering thru Amazon. Probably 10,000x the problem being discussed here about shipping waste

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed!

All shipments should be in brown paper bags...

Confused Trailer Park Boys GIF

The U.S. Reefing Industry makes up less than 2% of the U.S. Population. There are far more serious environmental problems to go worry about.

Like ppl ordering thru Amazon. Probably 10,000x the problem being discussed here about shipping waste

Doesn’t mean we can lead a charge to try and make changes

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every few months a thread like this comes up.

A few supportive comments, then they die. Just like this one will.
What’s wrong with that? It’s just like other conversations we see time and time again, whether palys are toxic, QT or not, etc.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wondered what amount of microplastics build up in systems over time with all the plastic in tanks, the styrofoam and plastic bags used to hold coral how much plastic ends up in staying in our tanks?

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whether it’s our reef passion or whether it’s our daily lives it’s clear we put way too much stuff in the ground, And that includes much of the stuff we think we’re recycling these days.
read recently that our waste disposal industries and our storage industries market size is the same as Germany’s annual GDP. That is the worlds fifth largest economy. We have too much stuff and we end up throwing it away or putting it someplace other than use it. Point of fact.
in my opinion we all need to try just a little harder.
One way that I have adopted this is that I have a cardboard box full of the jars that algae barn sells there inverts and pods in. I keep two or three of them in a small collapsible lunch thermos bag and bring it with me to my LFS and use it to bring home any frags I might pick up. Rinse them and use it again.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I’M talking about
Photo taken place now on the porch in San Pedro belize
image.jpg

Last edited:
Back