Plate Coral Losing Tissue overnight

MadTownFess

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very puzzled....I have a 3.5 year old tank. Very established and stable. Have 50+ corals growing and very happy, both LPS and SPS. Woke up yesterday and small triangle chunk of tissue was missing from my orange plate coral. When the lights came on, the coral still looked great, was puffy and happy despite the missing tissue. Now this morning I wake up and there's an even larger chunk missing.

The coral has been very happy, showing absolutely no signs of stress. In fact I could argue that prior to this happening, it looked as good as it ever did.

I dont really have anything that would eat it. The only thing that may annoy it are my peppermint shrimp walking all over at night.

I thought maybe it was getting stung by something so I moved it yesterday, but the fact it had an even larger chunk missing today rules out that it was getting stung. To be honest I am clueless.

8.5 alk, 420 cal, 1350 mag, 5 nitrate, .05 phosphate (all been stable for along time)

Any thoughts what could be going on?

20220323_100809.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two clownfish, sixline wrasse, midas blenny and a royal gramma.
I doubt any inverts would be taking a poke at it and there aren't any heavy hitters in that fish list. I mean, it's possibly it got stung over a wider area than you first realized and it's finally recessing back to that area.

I'd leave it where it is for now and see if it gets any worse. Do you supplement with any aminos or things like Reef Roids?

mrtallbear86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happened to me. I had some stray voltage in my tank causing polyp bailout. It looked the exact same way

OP
OP
MadTownFess

MadTownFess

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt any inverts would be taking a poke at it and there aren't any heavy hitters in that fish list. I mean, it's possibly it got stung over a wider area than you first realized and it's finally recessing back to that area.

I'd leave it where it is for now and see if it gets any worse. Do you supplement with any aminos or things like Reef Roids?
I usually feed RedSea AB+ and BRS Reef Chili once a week, but havn't in a few weeks. I will start doing that again in hopes it aids in the recovery.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back