Plate coral

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, on Tuesday I obtained a plate coral through a trade. First fungia for me and have a few questions. So in his system the plate had no feeder tentacles, and he doesn't recall ever seeing them. Are there short tentacle plates with no visible tentacles? So far I have fed it reef roids and it eats very well. Currently sitting on sandbed. I have read that plates can move if not happy with light/flow, how exactly can they move? Does this one look okay? (Picture is from previous owner).
fd271dd34f9da1e8c479ec3d58dc3da8.jpg

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beauty of a plate! I think it just depends on the specific species if they puff up much or not. My green ones flesh extends way out past it's skeleton and I've seen healthy ones with not much extension at all. Mine is about 7" across when fully open and at night shrinks down to half that.
20180118_171159.jpg

OP
OP
H

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact I am not seeing any tentacle is nothing to be worried about, correct?

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to tell from the photo, but your plate looks similar (species wise) to a very hardy plate that I've had for about 4 years. Mine has a diameter of 4+ inches and shows good PE but usually only at night. If yours is eating well, I'm sure it is fine. I got mine cheap as it was in poor condition and had lost some flesh, but it recovered quickly with regular feedings.

OP
OP
H

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far it is eating well. I have started to feed reef roids 2x/week so will try it out again to see if it is still eating.

So I have read posts about these plates being able to move on their own. How is that possible?

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not rupture or tear it's thin surrounding membrane as you may tend to lose it shortly after that ... some Plate corals are hardy though. Leave them alone (meaning no physical handling) if possible.

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far it is eating well. I have started to feed reef roids 2x/week so will try it out again to see if it is still eating.

So I have read posts about these plates being able to move on their own. How is that possible?
They inflate their tissue (not certain of the exact process). I've never had one move far but have heard stories of plates moving all over the tank.

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keep it at the bottom not to much light if its eating then its fine just leave it alone

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd drop a few small pellets in their mouths occasionally and don't be surprised to witness it consume the pellets. Fortunately my fish don't pick on the pellets. A little trick is to feed the fish first before the plate corals ...

OP
OP
H

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of a boring coral without tentacles. So far it is eating very well, moves sand off its body very quickly, and color looks great. Have it in the same area as my trachy and it seems happy. Will keep monitoring it. Will post a pic if a tentacle ever pops out.

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought these were always suppose to be on the sand?

OP
OP
H

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd drop a few small pellets in their mouths occasionally and don't be surprised to witness it consume the pellets. Fortunately my fish don't pick on the pellets. A little trick is to feed the fish first before the plate corals ...

With regular feeding what growth rate are you noticing?

Sharkbate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has his tentacles out day and night although shorter under blues. I feed or try to get a few pellets down to him if the fish are distracted about once a week . Cool to watch them drag the food to the centre .... nice addition to any tank I’d say
IMG_8306.jpg

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 71 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.8%
Back