Plating monti cap on sandbed work?

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had some decent growth from a monti cap and it broke off the original mounting point on the rocks. No way I’ll be able to re-mount it on the rocks. Can I just place it on the sandbed? Or is it time to part ways with it?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe glue it on a small piece of rubble, or even a small pvc pipe piece. (I've also got aquaman monti plate on the sand that I'm afraid to glue to my main rockwork.)

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe glue it on a small piece of rubble, or even a small pvc pipe piece. (I've also got aquaman monti plate on the sand that I'm afraid to glue to my main rockwork.)
That’s a good idea. Maybe find a way to prop it up an inch or so. It’s going to end up resting on a zoa garden if I don’t move it.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the nice things about montis - the caps and digitatas - is that they don't really encrust. You can grow a cake sized colony in a frag tank and turn it over and still see the frag plug at the bottom of the colony without the colony basing out from the plug.

Montis don't require crazy high lighting. So they will do great growing off the bottom of your tank. And sometimes caps on the bottom of a tank look great because it gives you a chance to look down into the beauty of the circular plating as the colony matures.

I would say that mounting it on a piece of rock or a large frag disc - so that it stays in one place is important. A piece of cap can get blown all around, and pushed around by the wash from a fish and end up stinging some other bit of life in your tank that you enjoy or getting harmed itself.

Dave B

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the nice things about montis - the caps and digitatas - is that they don't really encrust. You can grow a cake sized colony in a frag tank and turn it over and still see the frag plug at the bottom of the colony without the colony basing out from the plug.

Montis don't require crazy high lighting. So they will do great growing off the bottom of your tank. And sometimes caps on the bottom of a tank look great because it gives you a chance to look down into the beauty of the circular plating as the colony matures.

I would say that mounting it on a piece of rock or a large frag disc - so that it stays in one place is important. A piece of cap can get blown all around, and pushed around by the wash from a fish and end up stinging some other bit of life in your tank that you enjoy or getting harmed itself.

Dave B
Thanks for the response. My biggest concern was literally placing it on the sand itself. I would love for it to continue to grow, I just have no place on the rocks to attach it to…

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 89.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

• I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back