Playing With Gels

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is what my tank looks like while sitting on the couch, all lights on, using an Android phone.....look familiar..........nice and blue:

I recently questioned @kschweer about his recent upload of photos to his tank build thread, and he commented that he used gels with his smart phone....specifically, more towards the brown side. I had picked up a pack of sample gels from a photo store in NYC over a year ago, and originally played with the red to orange ones, because that's what someone said worked with our blue tanks. I didn't like any of these original photos and became discouraged, and hadn't played with them since. Well after seeing Kevin's pictures, and recently getting a smart phone (Yeah, I'm ten years behind the times), I decided to pull them back out....and look at the browns. Here's the first three gels I tried....and I'll continue to add to this as I play. Note, all lights are on (three 120 watt LED fixtures), no other apps or adjustments were made, other then cropping and reducing picture size to 700 whatevers wide.

Here are the first three gels I played with, the first being more red/orange, and what I had originally was told was the way to go:

Gel 3310

Gel 3152

Gel 3150

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting these. I've been wanting to try a filter on my dslr. This helps

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. That's interesting that the brown was the one that worked best of that group. How try to life would you say it looks?

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After finishing dinner I was going to go do a couple more gels, but the lights are blue only now. So it's going to have to wait until tomorrow.

@hatfielj , with a DSLR, isn't easier to simply white balance the camera to take good pictures?

Hmm. That's interesting that the brown was the one that worked best of that group. How try to life would you say it looks?

Well it's certainly better than Gel3310, but still think I need to look at a bunch more before I could say it's true to life. Also, once I narrow them down, I'll want to do close-ups to check color "correctness." Realize this sample gel pack I have has over 130 gels...maybe 20 or so that are shades of orange/red/brown.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm too impetuous and still wanted to play. I have a blue/white LED fixture in my sump that is still all on. Here's a Trachypyllia geoffroyi (aka Wellsophyllia radiata), that is hanging out in the sump.

Gel 3441 (Blue and White LED Sump Fixture)

That's not too far off! Want to try this gel on the DT lights tomorrow.

Tanggirl12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light Amber works best for me, I find I don't really need a filter unless it's night. I use an in camera app to change WB
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, if you have the ability to adjust white balance, there is no need for gels. These gels are for cell phone folks who don't have white balance capability. Simply hold the gel in front of the lens and take the picture.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to seeing what color works best for you Paul. The 3150 gel looks pretty similar to the one I am using. I think it's going to come down to what lighting someone uses to determine the best gel. For me with t5 I have 1 gel I use for all 6 bulbs and another when I'm just running 2 blue+.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah Kevin, I figure I'm going to have to identify two gels...one for all lights and one for blues. The other problem I'm having is taking pictures of the gels. I need a gel for the gels! I've been taking that picture in my kitchen that has a combination of LED and CFL bulbs.....so they are not their true color...slightly off. Should probably take them outside under natural sunlight.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, if you have the ability to adjust white balance, there is no need for gels. These gels are for cell phone folks who don't have white balance capability. Simply hold the gel in front of the lens and take the picture.
it's still going to vary from camera to camera and light to light.. Play with the CTO and Magenta +/- green. those are available as camera filers. 85b 85a etc. are orange CTO straw is also cto(85 filter) just more red in it.
i own both on rolls and 85 filters. the CTO and straw come in grades(density) full 1/2 1/4 1/8. so pay attention to that..The 85 as well.

a technique.. DSLR @ 12K WB. Blue led only + 85 or Straw or CTO. It takes the ext overload of 650 and lets the red green pop work.
same for my iphone 6.

it's still going to vary from camera to camera(specific spectrum response) and light to light(specific spectrum emission)..

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still playing with the Gels.....back in the DT....but BLUES ONLY are on. As Kevin pointed out, I'll need a gel for blues only and a gel for when all lights are on. Here is the list of gels I played with tonight with BLUES ONLY on:

Gel 3407 Blue Lights

Gel 3411 Blue Lights

Gel 3408 Blue Lights

Gel 3420 Blue Lights

Gel 3441 Blue Lights

The 3420 appeared to be the winner out of this group, when blues only are on.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's still going to vary from camera to camera and light to light.. Play with the CTO and Magenta +/- green. those are available as camera filers. 85b 85a etc. are orange CTO straw is also cto(85 filter) just more red in it.
i own both on rolls and 85 filters. the CTO and straw come in grades(density) full 1/2 1/4 1/8. so pay attention to that..The 85 as well.

a technique.. DSLR @ 12K WB. Blue led only + 85 or Straw or CTO. It takes the ext overload of 650 and lets the red green pop work.
same for my iphone 6.

it's still going to vary from camera to camera(specific spectrum response) and light to light(specific spectrum emission)..

Thanks @saltyfilmfolks , this is relatively new for me and there are so many gels in this sample pack I have. Thanks for the advice.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@redfishbluefish yes you can correct white balance in post, but I am curious if the filter would make the job easier.
yes.:)
the better intensity exposure(brightness +-) the better the pic right?:D
so the better the color exposure(ind. rgb sensor, like a par meter in reefs) the better the pic color. get it?;)
Leaving more latitude to work with in post production.:)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Factor in reef lights are opposite of preferred camera spectrum. :(
except true tungsten 3200k its opposite of actinic. :)
thus 85B
add red(your straw gel)
better pic taken with straw gel.
so a sepia glass filter
or sunset filter. for dslr
:cool:

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I repeated the same five gels I used above under blue lights only, but now it's full lights.....in the same order. Included the first picture of no gel at all.

No Gel Full Lights

Gel 3407 Full Lights

Gel 3411 Full Lights

Gel 3408 Full Lights

Gel 3420 Full Lights

Gel 3441 Full Lights

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. 3441 looks great to me.

Agree....so I tried a full tank shot with Gel 3441 - Full Lights

Just seems a little overexposed.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good fit Paul! I really like that the sample pack tells you the "name" of the gel so you can order that specific color. They scratch easy and I'm pretty rough on them.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good fit Paul! I really like that the sample pack tells you the "name" of the gel so you can order that specific color. They scratch easy and I'm pretty rough on them.

But I'm not ordering anything! :D That little sample swatch fits nicely over the lens of the camera.

Back