Please Consider...

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all love reefing, that's why we are here. I am guilty of this myself in the past, but I urge all Reefers to strive to do better. Please research and provide the proper care requirements BEFORE acquiring new livestock.
I won't make comparisons or scenarios to persuade you. I just simply ask that we do better as a community. I know some may disagree and disregard, and feel free to explain that here as well. Thank you, and Happy Reefing!

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all love reefing, that's why we are here. I am guilty of this myself in the past, but I urge all Reefers to strive to do better. Please research and provide the proper care requirements BEFORE acquiring new livestock.
I won't make comparisons or scenarios to persuade you. I just simply ask that we do better as a community. I know some may disagree and disregard, and feel free to explain that here as well. Thank you, and Happy Reefing!
I know for me, I would hate to have fish, and they be neglected or treated poorly. It would be the same as me treating my cats poorly. Animals should be treated with love and care just like we treat humans as well.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A big problem is LFS's doling out bad info and new hobbyists having no idea they are generally not a great source of up to date info until it's too late.

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a LFS tell me I could comfortably house a fish and I trusted them and didn't research at that moment to confirm. Learned my lesson that day - research later showed recommended twice the size tank over what they said would be okay. Had to rehome the fish and still upset at myself for being careless.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I think the issue is that there are many people who feel their joy from seeing the fish simply outweighs its health or comfort and if/when it dies will just buy another. I guarantee you many people lie about the size tank they have...

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A big problem is LFS's doling out bad info and new hobbyists having no idea they are generally not a great source of up to date info until it's too late.
I feel like this is becoming an increasingly worse issue as of lately, which I hate it for new people to the hobby who trust those that run LFS and give out not the best advice

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an LFS that mostly stocks fish for 300g+ tanks. So many valmini naso tangs and emporef angels and the ocasional batfish.

There appear to be almost no marine aquarists here, so I am pretty sure most of these sales are to smaller tanks.

However, the owner has warned me on fish size before asking my tank size, so maybe all of these monster tank people just hide from the internet.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, you just have to get over this. People just do dumb things that they know are not good and you have to just let them be. It is one thing when it just hurts them like smoking, eating too much, etc. but it does suck when other lives are at stake like with pets/fish/kids/etc. You just have to focus on the people who do things right.

The folks on the internet tend to be smaller tank and newer to the hobby. There are 20-25 awesome reefers near me with TOTM type of tanks that would not get on a message board for anything, or rarely do maybe only to sell stuff. They mostly have larger acropora tanks and some rare fish - they used older stuff and most still have MH running in some way or fashion. They know where to buy things for cheap and would never buy from BRS and otherwise do not need any help. In short, what you see online is a small slice of the hobby.

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, you just have to get over this. People just do dumb things that they know are not good and you have to just let them be. It is one thing when it just hurts them like smoking, eating too much, etc. but it does suck when other lives are at stake like with pets/fish/kids/etc. You just have to focus on the people who do things right.

The folks on the internet tend to be smaller tank and newer to the hobby. There are 20-25 awesome reefers near me with TOTM type of tanks that would not get on a message board for anything, or rarely do maybe only to sell stuff. They mostly have larger acropora tanks and some rare fish - they used older stuff and most still have MH running in some way or fashion. They know where to buy things for cheap and would never buy from BRS and otherwise do not need any help. In short, what you see online is a small slice of the hobby.
I agree to a point, and understand this. I have many Reefing friends who are not sociable by any means. I just happen to be "that guy" that they can open up to. However, I won't stop trying to convince people to do the right thing. I know it is often harder and takes more time, but the most rewarding things often do. I don't expect to sway minds or create a huge shift in the way things are, but I do ask that people at least try. This will also save them money and frustration in the long run.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You are correct, you can't fix stupid in most situations, however what will ultimately happen is government regulations on fish and coral so stringent that it will essentially shut the hobby down. We already have/had Hawaii ban and if you listen to reefers outside of the U.S. they have limited access to a lot of things we can still get here but for how long? PETA is just one tool in the box and if the government decides there are to many careless amateur reefing hobbyist they will take actions in many forms to eliminate the hobby. Regulations increase prices forcing some out, bans mean no hippo tangs in the 20g tank forcing some out, etc.... always remember the government knows what's best for you right? So just assimilate and get in line with the other sheep. They are also recommending limiting us to 2 beers a week? We need a second revolution if that becomes law.

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct, you can't fix stupid in most situations, however what will ultimately happen is government regulations on fish and coral so stringent that it will essentially shut the hobby down. We already have/had Hawaii ban and if you listen to reefers outside of the U.S. they have limited access to a lot of things we can still get here but for how long? PETA is just one tool in the box and if the government decides there are to many careless amateur reefing hobbyist they will take actions in many forms to eliminate the hobby. Regulations increase prices forcing some out, bans mean no hippo tangs in the 20g tank forcing some out, etc.... always remember the government knows what's best for you right? So just assimilate and get in line with the other sheep. They are also recommending limiting us to 2 beers a week? We need a second revolution if that becomes law.
Hey, I appreciate you and your opinions. But please don't hijack this thread and turn it into an argument about any governments. It will trigger others to chime in and get this thread closed. Thank you.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I appreciate you and your opinions. But please don't hijack this thread and turn it into an argument about any governments. It will trigger others to chime in and get this thread closed. Thank you.
It's direct correlation to your post about welfare of our aquatic pets. If WE don't care for them properly, the government will limit our abilities in this hobby. If you don't understand this then you become part of the problem Sir but I will not add anything further here.

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's direct correlation to your post about welfare of our aquatic pets. If WE don't care for them properly, the government will limit our abilities in this hobby. If you don't understand this then you become part of the problem Sir but I will not add anything further here.
Oh, I'm sure there are many agencies that feel we have no business keeping these animals, and I believe you are correct on that. The problem with text on a screen is we can't always see the humor or demeanor in our statements. I understand what you mean, I just don't want someone else taking it off in a tangent.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so much, easy to access, information out there. Today there is no excuse to not know how to treat our little friends in our glass boxes well. Not the case when I jumped in during the mid 90’s. Lots of trial and error and a lot of bad advice from lfs’s.

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A big part of my enjoyment from this hobby for me comes from seeing my corals and fish happy and thriving. Everything else is in pursuit of that goal. I only have 32g, so that means most of the flashier fish aren’t on my list, but that’s ok. I can visit them in the LFS for free.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree 100% been in that situation before (powder blue tang) that I got from reef pro after a LFS said it was a great edition to my tank. Checked size and seemed to be okay and they said they were good with all fish besides other tangs (described it as a typical tang issue which is NOT THE CASE with a pbt I found out and people here finally convinced me to rehome and I have a very calm tank because of it) Also found theres lots of sources floating around that dont have adequate info. Saw an article the other day saying 75 gallon was perfect for 5 tangs. Main reason I joined this community was to read other posts and ask questions from people who were not trying to sell me fish!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think people forget that the lfs is a store trying to sell things. People think they are friends with the employees but really it's just a sales tactic that many are fooled by. I know so many people who go to an lfs because of one person working there and their supposed buddy buddy relationship.

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Local stores here have become maintenance heavy and tank poor. Nobody is buying coral or fish locally it seems and the stores are taking a hit. Workers are hard to come by and anyone who is experienced enough to know what they are talking about cant be paid just to sit inside behind a register. Its getting tougher on everyone, has been for years.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back