Please Critique my 220G Revamp

Dave Mrnak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers,

Like most of you, the moment I learned about reefing I was in LOVE. I am absolutely enthused by the subject of all things reefing. I am fortunate enough to have a wonderful wife that lets me spend our money on things we enjoy. It also a bonus for it to be an in home hobby, as I am an avid hunter.

I was able to score a pretty good deal on a tank the moment I decided this was for me. Off to the races I was, starting my cycling and beginning the journey. It has only been 1 month, and I have already realized the potential and limitless routes this hobby can take me. So much so, as I would like to revamp my SUMP into what I think would be manageable for me and beneficial for my inhabitants. Please read below and feel free to critique, give advice, and just confirm I am on the right route. I will have questions that I'm unsure of or looking for answers specifically Bolded.

History:
I have a 220 Gallon 72"L X 24" W X 30" T. see my picture for my rock placement. It is live dry Fiji Rock. I have a glass top and two back corner sections for my intake and return lines in each. Overhead I have 3 Hydra 26 HD LEDs every 18".
My Sump is ESHOPPS WD-300-CS WET-DRY FILTER SUMP with a Vectra V1 for my return and a classic Reef Octopus 150 Skimmer.
Currently running a bare bottom tank.
I have begun cycling 30 days ago.
15 days ago I added 3 damsels.
2 days ago I added 11 X Turbo Snails, 6 X Blue Legged Hermits, and 6 X Astrea Snails.
I'm seeing some slight brown algae as the tank cycles.

What I want to do moving forward:
I have read so much the last week, giving 8 hours a day or so to learn as much as I can. I have compiled and re-read my thoughts to put them as accurately before you.

1. Sump- It seems everyone tends to lean away from Wet/Drys. I am in that same boat. I would like to run a refugium instead with chaeto, arthropods and copepods to be able to better export unused nutrients from the tank. As well as grow larvae for a better ecosystem and import some of my own food. I plan on my sump containing some marine pure blocks in conjunction with the 120lbs of Fiji rock in my main display. Additionally I will have a Roller Mat, GFO Reactor, Carbon Reactor of ROX 0.8 Carbon, the same Skimmer I currently own, a Neptune Apex controller, Apex DOS controller(Will I need to Dose anything daily besides Calcium and Alkalinity?), Pentair Smart High Output UV 50 Watt. Do I need a second heater, one comes with the APEX, for redundancy?
Maybe even a chiller, not quite sure I'm sold on that yet.

What Sump should I look for knowing my plan for it, and keeping in mind I love experimenting and need room to grow!

2. Main Display- I am currently running a bare bottom. I had the idea of utilizing Green Star Polyp as a kind of shag carpet. Well at 30" deep, I would not be able to properly groom as I know it would required that depth of a tank. Is it too late to add sand, I've seen some methods to do it once you already have water it it? Luckily, I have few inhabitants and no coral, so I could easily remove. I want a very high flow tank SPS dominated, so it would need to be heavier stone. I'm honestly most confused to this topic, sand or no sand....THOSE SAND SIFTING GOBIES ARE SO COOL! I am grabbing some Vortech MP 40 and placing them on the sides. 2 enough, or go 4 for some on the back?

3. Canopy- I have researched the current lights I have and with an 18" spread from center will be grabbing a fourth Hydra 26HD for full coverage of my tank.

4. Off site RO/DI- My tanks sits right on the wall, to which the other side is the garage. I really want to do everything myself and with that comes to mind Top off Water. I plan on using TUNZE osmolator 3155 for my top off. With a max head height of 7Ft that is more than enough to get the water where I want it to be. My idea is to have a 6-Stage RO/DI system mounted to the wall in the garage. I run the water through it and it collects in a 55 Gallon Reef Safe Bin in the garage. The ATO will sit in the sump and draw the clean RO water from this bin in the garage. This sound right?

I plan on checking and monitoring Cal, PH, dKH, Mg, Salinity often. Anything else I should keep on eye for?

End: Thank you for taking the time to read this, I sure hope it was easy to understand. I really want a crystal clear laboratory looking tank that is thriving. I plan on dosing with the Red Sea Line of Products. Once I am able to fully understand what I am doing LOL, I may venture off and take a look at ZEOvit.
I look forward to your responses, GOOD OR BAD!!
-Dave

OP
OP
Dave Mrnak

Dave Mrnak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See below for how it looks currently!

20180927_165507.jpg

20180927_165559.jpg

20180927_165456.jpg

20180927_165549.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back