Please Critique My Sump Design!!!

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, please take a look at my sump design and tear it apart...where do you see downfalls, potential risks and all that jazz.

My reasoning for this type of sump. I have a 150 gallon display 60x24x24, single overflow and one return. I don't have the ability to do a basement sump so I'd like to have a frag tank for future frags and acclimation and I hate frag racks in my DT. I really enjoy being able to a refugium for macro algae and to provide some diversity and a place for pods to grow and flourish.

The goal would be to hang a 4 bulb T5 light over the fuge/frag area and the smallest useful size they come in is 24 inches, hense the raceway type design that way I can place better grow bulbs over the fuge area and certain types of bulbs over the frag section OR should I just setup where the fuge and frags are divided length wise and have two square sections vs the raceways?

Please let me know what you think.

SumpDesign.jpg

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, please take a look at my sump design and tear it apart...where do you see downfalls, potential risks and all that jazz.

My reasoning for this type of sump. I have a 150 gallon display 60x24x24, single overflow and one return. I don't have the ability to do a basement sump so I'd like to have a frag tank for future frags and acclimation and I hate frag racks in my DT. I really enjoy being able to a refugium for macro algae and to provide some diversity and a place for pods to grow and flourish.

The goal would be to hang a 4 bulb T5 light over the fuge/frag area and the smallest useful size they come in is 24 inches, hense the raceway type design that way I can place better grow bulbs over the fuge area and certain types of bulbs over the frag section OR should I just setup where the fuge and frags are divided length wise and have two square sections vs the raceways?

Please let me know what you think.

SumpDesign.jpg

Quoting to see pic in Tapatalk

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your design is just fine. You may just want to make a removable divider between the Fuge and Frag section or even adjustable to be able to make it 1/3 and 2/3 either way as things dictate ??? As for drilling holes for your Probes in the Euro bracing no problem at all, though I would put it the first chamber along with Skimmer as the level will remain constant. Do you already have the in-sump return pump or have considered an external pump ??? I have the same footprint tank using a 75g Sump with a 36x18 Fuge section and Pan World return pump. You can see my sump layout in my build thread linked in my signature at bottom.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
BfishLpond78

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your design is just fine. You may just want to make a removable divider between the Fuge and Frag section or even adjustable to be able to make it 1/3 and 2/3 either way as things dictate ??? As for drilling holes for your Probes in the Euro bracing no problem at all, though I would put it the first chamber along with Skimmer as the level will remain constant. Do you already have the in-sump return pump or have considered an external pump ??? I have the same footprint tank using a 75g Sump with a 36x18 Fuge section and Pan World return pump. You can see my sump layout in my build thread linked in my signature at bottom.

Cheers, Todd

I have not thought about an external pump. I've always done in sump. Well I mean the thought has crossed my mind, but never really pursued it. I will take a peek at your thread and check it out. Thanks!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 96 80.7%
  • Other.

Back