Please Diagnose this Wrasse disease

kkp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
Recently bought a wrasse on April 8th 2021.

Ive been having Ich problems in my DT so I’m going no fish for 76 days.

Due to this, I’ve started a temporary tank putting all my fish (4) in.

My wrasse I just bought has been developing skin issues. As if his skin is peeling.

Please help me diagnose so I can treat and cure his issues!!!!!

pictures attached.

1BD4BD3C-9DA0-42D7-8983-9EC974B3BB6B.jpeg 1EB4AA2E-65B5-4A2A-8FAD-90786DF0720E.jpeg 9861C69A-582E-4B1F-AE3E-32849663750E.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No doubt a bacterial issue and i must question:
Water quality , , , , ,
Ammonia
-nitrate
-ph
- salinity
- temperature
-type of water used

Also what test kit(s) are you using ?

bacterial infections can be caused by either Gram‐positive or Gram-negative bacteria. Gram-negative infections are typically more viral and common withmarine fish. Also, many bacterial infections are often secondary to a preexisting parasitic or worm infestation.
Many times, they are caused by poor water quality, open wounds and dietary deficiency which will lower the natural immune system. the best treatment for a bacterial infection is a broad-spectrum antibiotic such as Maracyn 2 or ruby rally Pro. I prefer Maracyn. Poor water quality is generally a key cause which increases the odds of a bacterial infection. Anything that lowers the fish’s overall immune system makes infection more susceptible such as stress, fighting, malnourishment, and old parasite bites or infection.
Add selcon vitamins and garlic extracts to the foods for stamina and overall immunity health,
Foods such as LRS reef frenzy, Rods, and formula one, mysis shrimp, small plankton are good base foods. Running a UV sterilizer or Ozone may help in certain situations, as that will lower the overall number of harmful bacteria found in the water column.
For this fish:
Prior to quarantine which it will need, give it a 90 minute bath using Ruby rally Pro. Although it is not optimal to do so, you can combine it with copper safe treatment or chloroquine sulphate.

* Do remember that every medication you use depletes the water of oxygen, so add oxygen when treating as simple as use of an airstone.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thought is that this species is one of the top three that develop Uronema infections soon after arrival (the other two are green chromis and orange anthias). While these discolored areas don't look like classic Uronema, that disease is a great mimic, and it sometimes looks different. Is the fish breathing normally and still eating? If so, then it is probably a bacterial disease and you should treat for that. If it isn't eating and/or is breathing open-mouthed, then Uronema is more likely. That disease however, isn't really treatable, sorry.

Jay

OP
OP
K

kkp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water quality , , , , ,
Ammonia
-nitrate
-ph
- salinity
- temperature
-type of water used

bacterial infections can be caused by either Gram‐positive or Gram-negative bacteria. Gram-negative infections are typically more viral and common withmarine fish. Also, many bacterial infections are often secondary to a preexisting parasitic or worm infestation.
Many times, they are caused by poor water quality, open wounds and dietary deficiency which will lower the natural immune system. the best treatment for a bacterial infection is a broad-spectrum antibiotic such as Maracyn 2 or ruby rally Pro. I prefer Maracyn. Poor water quality is generally a key cause which increases the odds of a bacterial infection. Anything that lowers the fish’s overall immune system makes infection more susceptible such as stress, fighting, malnourishment, and old parasite bites or infection.
Add selcon vitamins and garlic extracts to the foods for stamina and overall immunity health,
Foods such as LRS reef frenzy, Rods, and formula one, mysis shrimp, small plankton are good base foods. Running a UV sterilizer or Ozone may help in certain situations, as that will lower the overall number of harmful bacteria found in the water column.
For this fish:
Prior to quarantine which it will need, give it a 90 minute bath using Ruby rally Pro. Although it is not optimal to do so, you can combine it with copper safe treatment or chloroquine sulphate.

* Do remember that every medication you use depletes the water of oxygen, so add oxygen when treating as simple as use of an airstone.

Thanks for the reply!!!

This tank is new so there is 0 ammonia/nitrate.
PH is 8 from salt mix (Red Sea blue bucket)
Salinity is 1.025
Temp is 80
I use RODI

I use mostly Hanna test kits.

I think due to the newish tank I set up it developed a bacterial infection, as you mentioned.
I’ll be running to the LFS tomorrow to purchase the Ruby Rally.

Is there any likelihood this can be passed to my other fish?
I’m treating ICH at the moment and need to quarantine all fish eventually.

OP
OP
K

kkp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thought is that this species is one of the top three that develop Uronema infections soon after arrival (the other two are green chromis and orange anthias). While these discolored areas don't look like classic Uronema, that disease is a great mimic, and it sometimes looks different. Is the fish breathing normally and still eating? If so, then it is probably a bacterial disease and you should treat for that. If it isn't eating and/or is breathing open-mouthed, then Uronema is more likely. That disease however, isn't really treatable, sorry.

Jay
Fish is swimming and eating normally. For now....

OP
OP
K

kkp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water quality , , , , ,
Ammonia
-nitrate
-ph
- salinity
- temperature
-type of water used

For this fish:

Water quality , , , , ,
Ammonia
-nitrate
-ph
- salinity
- temperature
-type of water used

For this fish:

How long until this Bacterial infection becomes more severe? How long does the medication take to start working?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long until this Bacterial infection becomes more severe? How long does the medication take to start working?
If this is bacterial, it is already pretty severe. The trouble is most antibiotics require around 5 days to work, and meanwhile, the fish can get worse.

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Both depend on severity of fish. this is already severe and becomming anymore severe can have fatal effect. the strength and health of fish will determine its response to medication.

OP
OP
K

kkp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is bacterial, it is already pretty severe. The trouble is most antibiotics require around 5 days to work, and meanwhile, the fish can get worse.

Jay
Both depend on severity of fish. this is already severe and becomming anymore severe can have fatal effect. the strength and health of fish will determine its response to medication.

So if this fish is too far gone, what’s the best course of action when purchasing a new fish...?

Do I use Ruby Rally immediately after purchase and continue to copper/TTM for Ich?

Don’t want to continue to waste $

OP
OP
K

kkp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this infection only for this particular fish or can it be passed?... Should i be treating all fish for the bacterial infection?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So if this fish is too far gone, what’s the best course of action when purchasing a new fish...?

Do I use Ruby Rally immediately after purchase and continue to copper/TTM for Ich?

Don’t want to continue to waste $
Best course? - Q U A R A N T I N E !! That same 90 minute rally pro bath method i mentioned is safe and reliable.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yup!!
Mistakes were made :(

This can’t be passed to my other fish, correct?
It can but best recourse to assure and maintain good water quality and diet.

Temp 77-79
ph 8.1-8.3
salinity 1.025
nitrate < .4
phos < .04
Ammonia < .03

If you have coral:

mag 1300
Alk 8-9
CA 440

OP
OP
K

kkp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best course? - Q U A R A N T I N E !! That same 90 minute rally pro bath method i mentioned is safe and reliable.
Few more questions!

What’s the difference between Rally and Hydroplex?

Also, a 90 minute bath? It says to treat over 3/4 days... 90 minute bath while still in the LFS bag?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Few more questions!

What’s the difference between Rally and Hydroplex?

Also, a 90 minute bath? It says to treat over 3/4 days... 90 minute bath while still in the LFS bag?
90 min bath purpose: Returning the fish to the same tank you took him out of will just result in reinfection. It is also impossible to determine if just one formalin bath will result in 100% eradication of the pathogen you are trying to eliminate. This is done in a seperate tank or container. It is also important to give the fish 48 hours to recuperate in-between baths. After bath, always transfer the fish into a new/sterile QT to prevent reinfection. And observe closely for at least 30 days to be sure the fish is 100% disease-free.
You can dose formalin directly into a quarantine tank, but this can be risky due to the harshness of formalin and how quickly it can deplete the water of oxygen. Providing additional gas exchange to the QT is a must! This can be accomplished by using an air stone or pointing a powerhead towards the surface of the water.
HYDROPLEX is an extremely broad spectrum dip that is not reef safe whereas Ruby Rally is. They both have similar qualities

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back