Please Explain Precipitation

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For everyone like me can you please explain precipitation a little more in depth and in laymen terms?

What causes it?
How do you know your getting precipitation?
Anything else we should know about it?

Thanks!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For everyone like me can you please explain precipitation a little more in depth and in laymen terms?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^:rolleyes:
Tagging along #2... :)

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about this one?
https://www.chemicool.com/definition/precipitate.html

A precipitate occurs when one component becomes insoluble in a solution. If there is enough precipitate, you will observe it as a cloudiness in the solution. It is frequently the case that a precipitate occurs as the result of a chemical reaction where the material that precipitates is converted from a soluble, to an insoluble form.

You can observe this by making a solution of calcium chloride as in Randy's 2-part and adding a base to it such as sodium hydroxide. Calcium chloride is soluble in water, adding base converts it to calcium hydroxide, which is not and you see a white precipitate.

Bruce

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about this one?
https://www.chemicool.com/definition/precipitate.html

A precipitate occurs when one component becomes insoluble in a solution. If there is enough precipitate, you will observe it as a cloudiness in the solution. It is frequently the case that a precipitate occurs as the result of a chemical reaction where the material that precipitates is converted from a soluble, to an insoluble form.

You can observe this by making a solution of calcium chloride as in Randy's 2-part and adding a base to it such as sodium hydroxide. Calcium chloride is soluble in water, adding base converts it to calcium hydroxide, which is not and you see a white precipitate.

Bruce
Bruce,
We all know that if you overdose cal and alk at the same time, then you get precipitation and your #'s also drop. Hardened sand, scraping glass etc...

So, In "laymen terms" what is the overdose of cal and alk doing in the reef to cause the precipitation.

Thanks, Freddie

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What causes it?
How do you know your getting precipitation?
Anything else we should know about it?

Thanks!

Here's a simplistic explanation that is true in reality.

When a calcium and a carbonate ion randomly hit each other (or a solid calcium carbonate surface), there's a chance they will stick together and form calcium carbonate solid (or stick to the surface). Likewise, a solid calcium carbonate surface is constantly losing ions to the solution.

The more calcium and the more carbonate in solution, the more they hit each other and stick. At some point (in terms of the numbers in solution, called saturation), the number sticking is the same as the number coming off, and no net dissolution or precipitation takes place.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bruce,
We all know that if you overdose cal and alk at the same time, then you get precipitation and your #'s also drop. Hardened sand, scraping glass etc...

So, In "laymen terms" what is the overdose of cal and alk doing in the reef to cause the precipitation.

Thanks, Freddie

Randy answered the question above and in the article linked in post #6. I would only add that the pH of the solution plays a role in which ions are soluble and which precipitate.

Bruce

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a simplistic explanation that is true in reality.

When a calcium and a carbonate ion randomly hit each other (or a solid calcium carbonate surface), there's a chance they will stick together and form calcium carbonate solid (or stick to the surface). Likewise, a solid calcium carbonate surface is constantly losing ions to the solution.

The more calcium and the more carbonate in solution, the more they hit each other and stick. At some point (in terms of the numbers in solution, called saturation), the number sticking is the same as the number coming off, and no net dissolution or precipitation takes place.
Randy,
For the sake of Water Chemistry, ;Wacky question. Even if it drives your mag. up to say... 6,000ppm :D

During an overdose of cal and alk at "one time" (lol)... could you also overdose enough mag "at the same time" to keep the cal and alk ions from binding together?

Regards, GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK define Laymen
One purpose of mag. is that it keeps the cal and alk ions from binding together for coral intake.
The below is how I'd describe the purpose of mag. in (lol) Laymen... :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is how I keep mag in perspective:
If you want to eat a peanut butter sandwich (for nutrition and building blocks)
Cal = Bread
Alk = Peanut butter
Mag = Saliva ;Drool

(lol)
Try to swallow (intake) a peanut butter sandwich with out or almost no saliva... :eek:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The above is what "I" define as "Laymen". :D

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@revhtree
One scenario:
Coral takes in ions separately and not stuck together.

If your mag drops too low then your cal and alk ions will stick together and with precipt. (dust) out. Then you will see that your reef's cal and alk intake will freeze up until you resolve the low mag. issue. Then your reef's cal and alk intake will kick back in over time.

Mag. is like the "Grease" that keeps the cal and alk ions from sticking to each other.

If you run bare bottom and you precipt. out. You can see a dusting on the glass bottom.

Precipitation = Stuck together ions.

Last edited:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked for that :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,
For the sake of Water Chemistry, ;Wacky question. Even if it drives your mag. up to say... 6,000ppm :D

During an overdose of cal and alk at "one time" (lol)... could you also overdose enough mag "at the same time" to keep the cal and alk ions from binding together?

Regards, GoVols

No, I do not think so because you'd precipitate magnesium hydroxide and magnesium carbonate. :)

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When ph is high, then calcium and bicarbonate will stick together to make sand. Therefore its not dissolved anymore in the water, it is a rock. Laymen enough?

Calcium chloride + sodium bicarbonate transform into calcium carbonate (rock).

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I hijack this thread?

I've started dosing two part again using Dr. Foster & Smith Sodium Carbonate and Calcium Chloride w/Magnesium Sulfate and Magnesium Chloride to boost Mg.

Using Reef Crystals with salinity at 35 ppt.

Mg was somehow low so I boosted it with 0.5 liter MgSO4+MgCl2 solution to 1400 in a 135 gallon system.

I dose the Sodium Carbonate first into my filter sock (high flow) and it precipitates out immediately forming large white flocks.

Not sure how to fix this? Any advice?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back