Please give me opinions on my system parameter

Bradsreeftank21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are my parameters, why is my calcium and magnesium crazy high? I use instant ocean salt and my tank is about 3 months old!
5783BABB-E064-4BC5-99F2-E25C54E31239.png

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That calcium isn't "bad" but that magnesium may kill your inverts. As for why it is high, I am not sure. What do you dose, if anything?

OP
OP
B

Bradsreeftank21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That calcium isn't "bad" but that magnesium may kill your inverts. As for why it is high, I am not sure. What do you dose, if anything?
That’s funny you say that, I added a cleaner shrimp and it died 10 minutes later but I’m not dosing anything yet because these numbers are already high

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your salt mix is high would possibly suggest switching salts.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your high salinity is why your numbers are so high? Is there a reason your salinity is so high? 1.025-1.026 is where most reef tanks run. Slowly reduce your salinity and check your numbers again. Your high salinity is what probably killed your shrimp.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your high salinity is why your numbers are so high? Is there a reason your salinity is so high? 1.025-1.026 is where most reef tanks run. Slowly reduce your salinity and check your numbers again. Your high salinity is what probably killed your shrimp.
+1
Temp is also way too high

Jholley565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always make sure to flip the bag or roll the bucket across the room a few times to mix the salt up. Sometimes the smaller particles will settle in the bottom so your first mixture on top will text different than your last one from the bottom.

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey my salinity is 1.030,using refractor for salinity and Neptune trident for others, I am actually using calibration solution on trident right now.
So CA and MG, they are meant to be at acceptable levels in your newly mixed salt. Typically (and you can check on the box/bucket/bag) the salinity is 35 ppt (1.024-1.025) for acceptable parameters of other elements. So if you are at 1.030, your CA and MG, and other elements you aren’t measuring for likely, are all going to be too high because you have too much salt mix in the water you make. I hope this makes sense. You will need to bring it down slowly with many water changes over a period of time.

refractometers need to be calibrated more often than you’d think. Most of us aren’t great about that. I have gotten into the habit of calibrating mine at least once a month.

also are you topping off with salt water or plain rodi? salt doesn’t evaporate so don’t top off with it or your salinity will always be high.

OP
OP
B

Bradsreeftank21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So CA and MG, they are meant to be at acceptable levels in your newly mixed salt. Typically (and you can check on the box/bucket/bag) the salinity is 35 ppt (1.024-1.025) for acceptable parameters of other elements. So if you are at 1.030, your CA and MG, and other elements you aren’t measuring for likely, are all going to be too high because you have too much salt mix in the water you make. I hope this makes sense. You will need to bring it down slowly with many water changes over a period of time.

refractometers need to be calibrated more often than you’d think. Most of us aren’t great about that. I have gotten into the habit of calibrating mine at least once a month.

also are you topping off with salt water or plain rodi? salt doesn’t evaporate so don’t top off with it or your salinity will always be high.
im toping with saltwater but I will switch to RO, thank you for info!

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the heat coming from? Heater set to high? Inefficient pumps? Poor ventilation in your canopy trapping heat from lights. Eliminating or reducing any source of heat will help a lot. A fan will also help a lot blowing across the surface of the tank or sump.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back