Please have a look at these photos...

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below are 4 photos taken with a microscope. I believe it is of Cyano. Can anyone confirm? If not, can you ID? Thanks. Dom

1.JPG

3.JPG
4.JPG
2.JPG

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanna say the green particles are diatom algae, but this is definitely not my field of expertise...

Following.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanna say the green particles are diatom algae, but this is definitely not my field of expertise...

Following.

When I heard Google for "What does red cyanobacteria look like under a microscope?" I find similar images, but nothing that looks quite like what I have posted.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a non microscopic pic.?

I did post non-microscope pics in the past. But all the responses said that you needed to have a microscope pic to have a conclusive answer. I'll take another and post.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s only a few things that *look* like cyano, it’s definitely not dinoflagellates based on those photos. It could be a mix of diatom algae and cyanobacteria... let me see who I can track down to double check

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that this looks like a blend of diatoms and cyanobacteria.

I'm dealing with some elevated phosphates (0.08). I've ruled out my RODI setup and a 10 pound piece of dry rock from BRS.

I'm left to think the source is my frozen food.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm dealing with some elevated phosphates (0.08). I've ruled out my RODI setup and a 10 pound piece of dry rock from BRS.

I'm left to think the source is my frozen food.
I wouldn't call those elevated.
Cyano is also more likely to be encouraged by low nitrates than high phosphates.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't call those elevated.
Cyano is also more likely to be encouraged by low nitrates than high phosphates.

Fair enough.

I did pull the chaeto out of my fuge for a month without any noticeable improvement, as my nitrates were in the 5-10 range.

So without dosing, am I correct in saying that the only way to get nitrates up is by stopping water changes for a while?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough.

I did pull the chaeto out of my fuge for a month without any noticeable improvement, as my nitrates were in the 5-10 range.

So without dosing, am I correct in saying that the only way to get nitrates up is by stopping water changes for a while?
I wouldn't dose if they are above 5ppm, that should be fine.

Are you vacuuming the sand bed when you do a water change?

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't dose if they are above 5ppm, that should be fine.

I've only just begun to do that. :(

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only just begun to do that. :(
Unless you need to do water changes for other reasons, I would only change enough water to support vacuuming the sand. Does your cyano also grow on your rocks or just the sand bed?

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you need to do water changes for other reasons, I would only change enough water to support vacuuming the sand. Does your cyano also grow on your rocks or just the sand bed?

Sand bed only.

I do water changes as a way of replenishing elements consumed by the corals (Ca, Mg...), in addition of helping to remove waste.

Ebslinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dom

What magnification where these photos taken at?

The small dagger shaped forms could be diatoms... but hard to say without magnification info..

Also, as a side note, if you can have some sort of scale (I know it can be a pain in the ....) in the photo it helps to get a perspective on what you're looking at.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand bed only.

I do water changes as a way of replenishing elements consumed by the corals (Ca, Mg...), in addition of helping to remove waste.
Then keep doing the water changes along with cleaning the sand bed imo. How much does your calcium drop between water changes?

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then keep doing the water changes along with cleaning the sand bed imo. How much does your calcium drop between water changes?

I couldn't tell you at the moment. But Sunday is water change day so I could do a test before the water change tomorrow and the after on Monday, posting the results Monday evening.

I think I am going to phase back to RC. I have about 5 pounds of Red Sea that I can blend with about 8 pounds of Reef Crystals. I'll use it up and then go Reef Crystals exclusively.

This all began when I switched to Red Sea. Definitely can see a difference between the two. Mind you I am not saying that Red Sea is an inferior salt. But there is a clear difference in the chemical composition of the mix which I feel explains the change in the tank appearance.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wow! Vacuuming and churning the sand bed made a huge difference. Cyano is all but gone.

Apparently, whatever the cyano was feeding on was locked up in the substrate... which would explain why I saw it on the substrate only.

Thank you for the help!
Dom

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 30.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back