Please help…

cuazi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I’m writing this in distress if you have 10 minutes please help… since I could remember I’ve had fresh water fish and for years I’ve wanted a salt water tank to add to my collection so I finally pulled the trigger and bought a 35 gallon tank with a canister filter heater and backup heater wave maker (actual wave maker not a water pump) live sand, live rock etc… everything needed for salt water fish then after I got everything for the tank I went with a RODI water filter because it seemed like a decent investment instead of buying a gallon for 2.50$ so I did bought the RODI filter salt, dechlorinator by Seachem , quick start from api, api test kit even a bottle of magnesium to help any corals I put in to the tank so I cycled the tank for a about a week and half ( I know it’s a short time) when I first added water to the tank I made sure to throw some quick start and before I added the fish I also added a bit of quick start tested my water for any ammonia came back 0 so tested ph, phosphate, nitrite and all levels matched out even took it to my local sea escape store for further testing they approved I was super excited picked up a pair of clown fish 1 tiny coral and a small goby everything seemed great for the first 3 days 4th day the clown fish end up dead I watched a movie the night before till 2 am and checked on them before going to bed they looked happy i was in love with the tank but unfortunately my girlfriend woke me up telling me the clown fish are died even though I was bummed out I knew it was part of the learning process I saved the goby and took it back to the store with the coral to give them another chance even though they looked perfectly fine even the coral was opened up I just wanted to stop any casualties from happening (keep in mind on the 3rd day the movie night day I tested the water around 7 pm everything checked out) so I went back home tested me water the only thing that was off was the ph bit a slight bit within .4 but ammonia was around .35 so did a water change around 25% and that was 5 days ago the same day I took back the fish to the store so with the water change I would hopefully neutralize the ammonia a little bit (even cleaned out canister filter siphoned the sand cleaned glass etc…) also added ammo lock by API before adding new dechlorinised water with a bit of quick start and boom absolutely nothing changed if anything ammonia spiked OVER .50 after the new water with ammonlock dechlorinator, so that was 5 days ago since then I have been trying to neutralize ammonia but every single day there seems to be .50 ammonia I’ve changed 25 percent of the water 2 TIMES IN THE LAST 5 days to try and bring it down but no luck I did a water change today but still at .50 I plan on doing another big water change tomorrow but does anyone know why my ammonia isn’t going down?? The only time it goes down is when I add ammo lock for around a day it neutralizes it to 0 but then goes right back should I add the ammo lock and then add some time of fish to help the filter build bacteria?? Do I even need fish to neutralize ammonia?? When I had no fish there was no ammonia so why is there now?? With no fish, There is absolutely nothing in the tank except the live sand and rock I’m very frustrated just ordered a ammonia eliminator by fluval getting here in the morning please I’m very tired, upset and discouraged I spent to much money for me not to make it work I’m new to the salt water world that’s why I’m making this post if anyone can contact me I could probably explain the story a lot better it’s currently 1 am exhausted after doing so much research but it seems I’m doing everything right…

IMG_0415.png IMG_0418.png

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop adding the ammonia neutralizer. Your tank needs to create bacteria to naturally process that. Please do some research on how the cycle works and the steps that process entails. The type of test kits is not as important as your consistent process when you use them and following directions. If you truly have live rock/sand your ammonia will rise at first because of die off. Remember Ammonia is a good thing. You will always have it, because fish/etc. will always produce it. Your goal is to produce an environment for the bacteria to grow that can process it as it is produced.
Patience is key.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, please use some punctuation, paragraphs, etc. - your post is very hard to follow.

Second, STOP using Ammolock. It likely does not do anything to lower ammonia but even if it does, it will mess with your test results.

A brand new tank needs time to cycle. You can help move this process along, to a point, but can't really rush things or you'll end up chasing your tail like you already experienced.

My advice, get a bottle of Fritz Turbo Start, DO NOT add any additional chemicals to reduce ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates, and wait several weeks before adding any fish.

Lastly, you mentioned buying a RODI, so why are you adding dechlorinator??

Last edited:

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I’m writing this in distress if you have 10 minutes please help… since I could remember I’ve had fresh water fish and for years I’ve wanted a salt water tank to add to my collection so I finally pulled the trigger and bought a 35 gallon tank with a canister filter heater and backup heater wave maker (actual wave maker not a water pump) live sand, live rock etc… everything needed for salt water fish then after I got everything for the tank I went with a RODI water filter because it seemed like a decent investment instead of buying a gallon for 2.50$ so I did bought the RODI filter salt, dechlorinator by Seachem , quick start from api, api test kit even a bottle of magnesium to help any corals I put in to the tank so I cycled the tank for a about a week and half ( I know it’s a short time) when I first added water to the tank I made sure to throw some quick start and before I added the fish I also added a bit of quick start tested my water for any ammonia came back 0 so tested ph, phosphate, nitrite and all levels matched out even took it to my local sea escape store for further testing they approved I was super excited picked up a pair of clown fish 1 tiny coral and a small goby everything seemed great for the first 3 days 4th day the clown fish end up dead I watched a movie the night before till 2 am and checked on them before going to bed they looked happy i was in love with the tank but unfortunately my girlfriend woke me up telling me the clown fish are died even though I was bummed out I knew it was part of the learning process I saved the goby and took it back to the store with the coral to give them another chance even though they looked perfectly fine even the coral was opened up I just wanted to stop any casualties from happening (keep in mind on the 3rd day the movie night day I tested the water around 7 pm everything checked out) so I went back home tested me water the only thing that was off was the ph bit a slight bit within .4 but ammonia was around .35 so did a water change around 25% and that was 5 days ago the same day I took back the fish to the store so with the water change I would hopefully neutralize the ammonia a little bit (even cleaned out canister filter siphoned the sand cleaned glass etc…) also added ammo lock by API before adding new dechlorinised water with a bit of quick start and boom absolutely nothing changed if anything ammonia spiked OVER .50 after the new water with ammonlock dechlorinator, so that was 5 days ago since then I have been trying to neutralize ammonia but every single day there seems to be .50 ammonia I’ve changed 25 percent of the water 2 TIMES IN THE LAST 5 days to try and bring it down but no luck I did a water change today but still at .50 I plan on doing another big water change tomorrow but does anyone know why my ammonia isn’t going down?? The only time it goes down is when I add ammo lock for around a day it neutralizes it to 0 but then goes right back should I add the ammo lock and then add some time of fish to help the filter build bacteria?? Do I even need fish to neutralize ammonia?? When I had no fish there was no ammonia so why is there now?? With no fish, There is absolutely nothing in the tank except the live sand and rock I’m very frustrated just ordered a ammonia eliminator by fluval getting here in the morning please I’m very tired, upset and discouraged I spent to much money for me not to make it work I’m new to the salt water world that’s why I’m making this post if anyone can contact me I could probably explain the story a lot better it’s currently 1 am exhausted after doing so much research but it seems I’m doing everything right…

Seems Ike your doing everything in correct order, however it's to fast in my opinion, avoid overloading with chemicals, you need to create the sea in this box in your house? This takes weeks/ months/years, your aquarium is now going to swing alot in chemistry, if as you said you have done your research you will know what this means.
Unfortunately you can't buy patience/ time in a bottle from Amazon :)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And read this

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lastly, you mentioned buying a RODI, so why are you adding dechlorinator??
Sometimes the RO buddie doesn’t cut it... :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: I am running a 8 stage RODI. Double carbons, Double membranes and triple DI...400+ going in, 0 coming out.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes the RO buddie doesn’t cut it... :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: I am running a 8 stage RODI. Double carbons, Double membranes and triple DI...400+ going in, 0 coming out.
Your carbon should be removing chlorine prior to water reaching the membrane. Has nothing to do with TDS.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your carbon should be removing chlorine prior to water reaching the membrane. Has nothing to do with TDS.
It does... I was more referring to not every RODI works for all areas. This is what it takes for me to remove all the impurities in our splendid LA water. Even though it is snow melt from hundreds of miles away, by the time it gets here and is processed, it takes a lot to achieve a Chloramine and TDS free goal.

Birdman Broham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0

Going to be honest. This was difficult to read and keep place. Next thing, take it slow don’t add anything until you are established.

santeeeyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You added way too much way too fast. Start with one fish, then after a week or two add the other clown. wait some more and then you can add in a goby. Wait for about a month or so before you add coral after you added your third fish.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chloramines... And high Silica. Why do you say. I would need to re evaluate my RODI?
Apologies for replying to you instead of the OP.

But since we are now on the topic, ill bite.

Buy a quality system with quality carbon filters that are rated for chloramines, and dont run two membranes unless you are on soft water since there isnt much good waste water to recover from the first membrane without a softener.

Silica buster DI cartridge will help your silica issues as well.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies for replying to you instead of the OP.

But since we are now on the topic, ill bite.

Buy a quality system with quality carbon filters that are rated for chloramines, and dont run two membranes unless you are on soft water since there isnt much good waste water to recover from the first membrane without a softener.

Silica buster DI cartridge will help your silica issues as well.
I do.
But my intention is not to overload my filters so they will last longer by using good quality ones. The waste water is very close to 1:1 since I am running two membranes and since we are in Cali, any savings in water is a good thing. I also recycle my waste water for other uses. Am I envious of folks that can use a 4 stage RODI for years without changing their media? Heck yes, but I am sure they are envious of the fact I live a few blocks from my NSW source.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back