PLEASE HELP! Anemone problem!

RocketBunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Rose bubble tip anemone last week and it was fine all the time until a couple hours ago. I fed it a little food pellet.
The next hour it shrunk to about a quarter size - tentacles deflated, mouth gaping open, and he was letting out a thin, brownish line of either waste... or zooxanthellae. it is still shrunken up and mouth is open... what to do?
ammonia = about 0
nitrites = 0
nitrates = about 0
temp = 77 no fluctuations
salinity is 1.024

I also have two ocellaris clowns and a maroon clown - a nice friendly trio... all pretty small

I also have beneficial bacteria, and photo-plankton for some corals in the tank... as well as a dose of trace elements...

I also have a green bubble tip that feels really well and doesn't shrink crazily... he's totally ok.
What could be wrong with the red bubble tip???

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he is eating that is obviously good. It is not unusual for an anemone to close up after eating, but since you have another anemone you probably know that. Since new to the tank I would continue to monitor.

OP
OP
RocketBunny

RocketBunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he is eating that is obviously good. It is not unusual for an anemone to close up after eating, but since you have another anemone you probably know that. Since new to the tank I would continue to monitor.
Thanks... dondifferent species of anemones excrete their wastes differently? Right now mine inflated a bit... but is still looking really weak... the clownfish are trying to help out

Carterfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemone is probably excreting waste. Do you really have a maroon with 2 common clowns? I’d be careful with that trio as they grow.

OP
OP
RocketBunny

RocketBunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemone is probably excreting waste. Do you really have a maroon with 2 common clowns? I’d be careful with that trio as they grow.
Yes i noticed that a trio doesnt work well... so I had to give the two bullies (normal clowns) back to the store...

The anemone is better but would randomly close fully into a ball and open back up

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anemone is trying to excrete waste and the maroon bully clown wont let it finish closing up to go potty.
I think this is normal? New to this and its my first anemone.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
All pointing to feeding response. Pellets not ideal food but theyll take it anyway

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 68 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 63 27.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 48 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back