PLEASE HELP ASAP!! VELVET INFECTED FISH

Rython

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it's velvet and not bacterial infection you're seeing? If you were already at theraputic copper, new velvet (dinospores?) should not have been able to swim through the water and attach to the fish. From my discussion with @Big G yesterday, bacterial infections are not uncommon during velvet treatment because of all the tiny wounds left behind, coupled with copper's immune suppression. So people often have to treat for both simultaneously.

Either way I vote yes on the fresh water dip and acriflavine bath. I've used those to provide relief to fish with both conditions. I'm not sure about adding acriflavine to copper though. I think I would use clean water dosed with just acriflavine, but i'm not 100% sure, so you might wait on a more confident response about that in particular. I'd get started on the FW dips though.

Last edited:

Rython

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for your temperature question, most of the fish I have purchased have a recommended temperature range of 72-78 degrees, so i've quarantined at as low as 72 degrees, but usually more like 74 to 76. The temperature can have a surprising difference in the infection rate and gestation period for flukes according to this online calculator http://marineparasites.com/paratreatmentcal.html, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was also true of other parasites and bacteria. I know for sure nitrifying bacteria and some heterotrophic bacteria are more prolific at higher temps, so it makes sense that infectous bacteria might be too.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the lowest temperature you'd go with while also being safe for the fish? Won't lower temperatures slow down bacterial infections?

I'll try to post some pictures today, some of the fishes tails look to be kind of eaten away, streamers on some fish are just gone..

Do you have any special instructions on exactly how, when, how often to dose those medications for bacterial infection with conjunction of copper?

Yeah, I know.. I read they don't do well with copper.. but there wasn't much else I could have done.. :/

I think 76 degrees is a fine place to be, I wouldn't drop any less than 74.

Velvet multiplies rapidly. Just keep increasing copper. If you have already done dips and baths I would just stay the course on copper.

Definitely don't mix copper and acriflavine.

Pics would be helpful. For sure.

Adding furan-2 and kanaplex to copper is what you will probably want to do. I would like to see pics first.

The schedule is furan everyday per instructions. Kanaplex every other day per instructions. 25% WC every other day prior to dosing.

OP
OP
Coral Keeper

Coral Keeper

Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about feeding the fish their favorite pellet food mixed with MetroPlex, KanaPlex and Focus? Ive head wonderful scusses with the fish eating the medicated food like pigs in the past.. will that help more than dosing the whole tank with those antibiotics/medications?

Rython

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what i've read feeding Kanaplex just gives fish diarrhea. It's only effective as an antibiotic in the water.

I've also read that feeding metro+focus will get rid of internal worms, but is less effective against external parasites than if you simply dosed the water with it. Also it doesn't work on all parasites. General Cure gives you a broader spectrum of effectiveness in both cases I believe, or alternatively dosing metro and prazipro. But I think prazipro is contraindicated with copper, and the copper is necessary for the velvet.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what i've read feeding Kanaplex just gives fish diarrhea. It's only effective as an antibiotic in the water.

I've also read that feeding metro+focus will get rid of internal worms, but is less effective against external parasites than if you simply dosed the water with it. Also it doesn't work on all parasites. General Cure gives you a broader spectrum of effectiveness in both cases I believe, or alternatively dosing metro and prazipro. But I think prazipro is contraindicated with copper, and the copper is necessary for the velvet.

Metro + Focus mixed into food treats for intestinal parasites.

Praziquantel + focus mixed into food treats for intestinal worms.

GC contains praziquantel and metronidazole. So it covers both intestinal worms and parasites.

@Coral Keeper you will want to dose furan-2 and Kanaplex directly into water for external bacterial infections. No benefit in trying to administer them through food for external issues.

Pics would be of great help here.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly, just hold the course for now. if your fish are anywhere near as stressed as you seem, they need some time to just chill.

I had a PBT that was all kinds of sick.. I was bouncing back and forth.. freshwater dip, oh, that tank is too cold, I am going to transfer him out of this tank with copper into this tank with furan. this was all within an hour.. the last time I caught him with the net he just had a huge spasm and died.

I don't mean to pile on you, I really do hope that things turn for the better but this would all be filed under "learning the hard way".

let the fish chill a little. feed them some reef or fish frenzy.

OP
OP
Coral Keeper

Coral Keeper

Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see she has red lines on the upper spine fin and on her lower tail fin, most of it is gone, she had 1/2 inch long streamers, the upper tail fin is still kinda there so you see the difference.. is this Fin Rot? Seems like mt anthias have the same thing and so do a few other fish..
20181005_171914.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PBT does have a nasty mouth infection as well, wow. Look familiar @HotRocks?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 36 54.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 56.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • None.

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.1%
Back