OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often are you doing water changes? I've read - or perhaps watched on YouTube- that Protein skimmers can take out helpful things like trace elements and such as well as taking out the bad things. A once a week partial water change of about 5 - 10 percent is the most recommended cure for this skimmer-related issue. On YouTube there's a channel called "Tidel Gardens" who is one of my first go-to's for everything. He's a HUGE advocate of "water changes cure all."
I made some significant changes over the last couple days. I moved from 2 halides down to one, did a 30% water change, added bacteria, and turned my skimmer off. Everything looks 100% better.

I was starting to think the same thing. I wonder if my skimmer was pulling out all the nutrients in a newer tank and causing stress??

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you measure ammonia, that might be a concern, but skimming would not impact that. If therfe's no ammonia, then cycling isn't an issue.
Question more broadly about that Randy :)

A. An initial cycle as I understand it is getting growth of the 2 types of bacteria that can take ammonia and process it into nitrate. Once these bacteria are everywhere your good right?

B. But what causes a mini cycle? Would putting in a new piece of dead rock cause this? But in this case you already have the population and will will quickly inhabit the new rock. AND IF THERES NO DEAD ORGANIC MATTER then there wont be ammonia at all right? the bacteria established in the original cycle will just populate the rock.

C. Or is the definiton of a minicycle anything that causes an ammonia spike?

D. How is it defined, and what are a list of things that could cause one?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Question more broadly about that Randy :)

A. An initial cycle as I understand it is getting growth of the 2 types of bacteria that can take ammonia and process it into nitrate. Once these bacteria are everywhere your good right? When the bacteria is cultured and is reactive to breakdown of waste matter

B. But what causes a mini cycle? Would putting in a new piece of dead rock cause this? But in this case you already have the population and will will quickly inhabit the new rock. AND IF THERES NO DEAD ORGANIC MATTER then there wont be ammonia at all right? the bacteria established in the original cycle will just populate the rock.
Silicates, Phosphates from tank and outside water source especially if it is Not RO water, and excessive nutrients

C. Or is the definiton of a minicycle anything that causes an ammonia spike? Cycle is when bacteria is able to process and break down waste and the cycle of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

D. How is it defined, and what are a list of things that could cause one? Poor filtration, poor water quality, lighting and overfeeding

A. An initial cycle as I understand it is getting growth of the 2 types of bacteria that can take ammonia and process it into nitrate. Once these bacteria are everywhere your good right? When the bacteria is cultured and is reactive to breakdown of waste matter

Silicates, Phosphates from tank and outside water source especially if it is Not RO water, and excessive nutrients

C. Or is the definiton of a minicycle anything that causes an ammonia spike? Cycle is when bacteria is able to process and break down waste and the cycle of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

D. How is it defined, and what are a list of things that could cause one? Poor filtration, poor water quality, lighting and overfeeding

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back