Please Help! Fish Dying

SaltwaterScotty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I don't know if this is the correct forum for this. I have a 230 gallon fowlr that has been up since January. I have 2 clowns that are fine, a pb tang that died very suddenly 2 days ago - I walked by and it was swimming normally and walked by again a minute later and it was dead, and a queen angel that has been actively dying over the past 2 days but still alive. I checked my params. Everything was normal except for some reason my ph was unmeasurable on the low side. Must be 6 something. I did a 30% water change with no affect on the angel or ph. I have ph buffer being delivered today. I tried raising it with baking soda to no avail. The only thing that's changed in the past week or so is that I no longer have algae growing on glass - there is literally nothing to clean(is that normal?), I've added pods to my fuge, and microbacter7. CUC is fine. I've had a slight diatom issue and what I think was/is black cyano I used chemiclean on a 3 weeks ago. It did not totally get rid of it, and I suctioned the rest out. Do you think this is a PH issue only or could something else be going on? Why would my clowns be unaffected? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Attached are pics of tge black stuff before I suctioned it, the angel and clowns.

20240526_073156.jpg 20240526_090501.jpg 20240526_090542.jpg 20240526_111610.jpg 20240525_144843.jpg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What were the rest of the params?
The low pH is indicative of some acid buildup, whether from CO2 or something else. Your sandbed doesn’t really look deep enough for hydrogen sulfide pockets to build up but it’s possible.
Do you have any videos of fish behavior?

OP
OP
SaltwaterScotty

SaltwaterScotty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What were the rest of the params?
The low pH is indicative of some acid buildup, whether from CO2 or something else. Your sandbed doesn’t really look deep enough for hydrogen sulfide pockets to build up but it’s possible.
Do you have any videos of fish behavior?
The only other fish in there other than the angel laying on it's side are 2 clowns acting perfectly normal. They ate this morning. When the food went in, the angel got up and swam around it but did not eat and went back to laying as pictured. My alk is 6.5, phos is not measurable. Must be 6 something. The buffer should be here today but I've gotten mixed messages on whether or not to even use it.

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only other fish in there other than the angel laying on it's side are 2 clowns acting perfectly normal. They ate this morning. When the food went in, the angel got up and swam around it but did not eat and went back to laying as pictured. My alk is 6.5, phos is not measurable. Must be 6 something. The buffer should be here today but I've gotten mixed messages on whether or not to even use it.
With typical saltwater rocks and sand that should buffer your water to stop any ph lower than mid 7. What are you using to measure the ph? What salt are you using?

OP
OP
SaltwaterScotty

SaltwaterScotty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like in your first picture with the angel there is a reddish spot under the fin and dorsal area of the fish… maybe Uronema?
There are two more pics. I hadn't noticed that, nor know about uronema.

Attachments

• 20240527_110456.jpg
    20240527_110456.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240527_110445.jpg
    20240527_110445.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
SaltwaterScotty

SaltwaterScotty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With typical saltwater rocks and sand that should buffer your water to stop any ph lower than mid 7. What are you using to measure the ph? What salt are you using?
I use the red sea test kit. It's brand new. I was going to take a sample to my lfs today, but they're closed for the Holiday. I just did a 30% water change yesterday and use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. I normally use Red Sea, but IO is all they had.

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the red sea test kit. It's brand new. I was going to take a sample to my lfs today, but they're closed for the Holiday. I just did a 30% water change yesterday and use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. I normally use Red Sea, but IO is all they had.
How often do you do water changes? The numbers you are getting dont add up. Mix some fresh saltwater and test it.

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might help to post numbers on all parameters -- salinity/SG, temp, whatever else you have -- and note how you measure those params.

With a pH that low (whether or not it is test error), I'd open some windows and start aerating the tank ASAP.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
There are two more pics. I hadn't noticed that, nor know about uronema.
This fish appears to be victim of aggression, possibly another angel and shows what looks like bite marks
What other fish are in tank?

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish appears to be victim of aggression, possibly another angel and shows what looks like bite marks
What other fish are in tank?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 86 45.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 45.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.0%
Back